restaurant chain bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLS-Tx, Jan 13, 2006.

1. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Does anyone do lawn maint. for a restaurant chain? If so how has it worked out for you?

Thinking of putting a bid on one, any help would be great.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I went through about 3 years of submitting to a chain. It was horrible. They basically went on price alone. I am here in Michigan, and I had to send bids out to PA. Go figure.

Same thing with a local gas station. What happened with the gas station is that just one company took care of all the gas stations like in a 100 mile radius. I was weird to see a lawn care company 100 miles away show up just to mow a lawn.

3. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

I used to take care of all the locals Hardees till they sold them all to Mc Donalds then i bid the McDonalds and didnt get it Lost the bid for 20 bucks a month more than my bid ( even tho i been doing that property for years ) Hardees was a good payer and payed locally , i now do a burger king and they are also good payers and right on time

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I find it all a bit strange... Maybe I just don't get commercial bidding...

Apparently it's a thing they do every year, WHO is going to service the prop? Sometimes it's lowest bidder, but not always.

I found it takes a lot of TIME to bid this stuff... I guess some guys must be really good at it, but then you'd still have to guess at a good portion, and what if you're way off? But that part aside, they always get at least 3 estimates, so chances are no better than 33% to begin with, and in my case no better than 1 out of 10 after that, so would I get 1 out of every 30 that I bid? Takes me close to an hour to draw up the estimate for just one, then they all insist on these requirements you have to meet, what's next, monthly meetings? Forget that !

Do they always honor the contracts year-round? Do they NEVER drop someone half-way through? Because say with a 6k contract, that's 20% of my annual gross, I can't afford to play with that, see... Lose one contract and it leaves a hole a mile wide in the schedule.

I dunno... Guess it takes time, planning, perhaps a crew...
    I have a couple smaller commercial, but some folks think small means 20 office buildings.
    No, no, no: Try TWO!

5. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

The deal is this is a chain of 9 restaurants, the GM is a guy a grew up with, he said he has had a hard time finding anyone thats dependable. He wants me to put in a bid on them, I not sure I want get myself that spread out, It's about a 90 mile route.

I don't think I going to do it, but I did want to give it some thought.

On the one hand it would nice to add 9 new contracts at once, I'm thinking about 1250 a month, but I could also lose all 9 at once, and as someone said that would leave a large hole in the schedule.

Think I'll try to get the 3 that are in the area that I service, if they will split them up.

What do you guys think?

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Be careful...I could be wrong but he probably won't want to split them up

7. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

if they wont split them only take them if they sign a longer than one year contract maybe 2 or 3 year and try to put some wording in there thats going to benfit both partys such as paying on time and try to make it hard for them to dump you after 1 year

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If you are interested in subing some we work in Austin.

9. TurfdudeNCSU

TurfdudeNCSU LawnSite Member

We work with several chains here in town. They have been pretty good to work with. When they build new stores we do the design and install, so there is alittle travel so we just do the install and let some one in that town do the maintenance.

10. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member