Restoring a Lawn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Natural Impressions, May 13, 2006.

1. Natural Impressions

Natural Impressions LawnSite Member

I am in the process(with a local fertilizer company) of restoring one of my clients lawn. The lawn is infested with weeds so before I did anything I called this company to help with the restoration. With this company we have agreed to 1st have me remove all thatch and have him follow behind me to lay out the fertilizer with weed killer. He then suggests that I follow that with peat moss so he can lay down tall fescue seed. I don't have a problen with this but I am curious as to why the peat moss goes down before the seed. I am new to this process and just would like an explanation...( want to look like I know what I am talking about lol;) :laugh: :laugh:

2. SuperiorLandscapeMgmt.

SuperiorLandscapeMgmt. LawnSite Member

Is some of the lawn still ok? Good fescue? Are you over seeding or starting from scratch?

3. Natural Impressions

some of the lawn is good.....but maybe about 20 percent....not much.....once the thatch it removed and the weeds are kill it will be very bare

4. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

So he is having you do the hard work. Why not just sub out the chemical treatment then spread the seed yourself? It sounds like he is using a granular weed and feed. Ask Him if he can use liquid weed killer and spread starter fert for you.

Why are you de-thatching a tall fescue lawn? How about having him treat the weeds then you Aerate and slit-seed. If you have to rent both those pieces of equipment then you could get by with just slit-seeding, but the new seedlings would take better if aerated too. If the lawn isn't to far gone you could probably just aerate and seed. That is how I overseed lawns that don't have large bare areas.

5. SuperiorLandscapeMgmt.

I agree completly w/ Soupy!

6. SuperiorLandscapeMgmt.

Liquid selective post emergent herbicide to kill weeds, verticut and aerate, overseed then apply seed starter fert. Keep area moist for first three weeks or so, seedlings at 2-3 inches, then start to cut back h2o sch. to stimulate root growth.

7. SuperiorLandscapeMgmt.

You shouldn't see much thatch in fescue.

8. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Especially one in the condition he described.

9. Natural Impressions

My 1st thought when looking at this lawn.....was to remove weeds ( with a power rake and chemicals, areate and then seed. But really wanting to do right for the homeowner I called in the fertilizer co. for a recommendation and service. He told me aerating this time of year wouldn't be worth it,.. To remove thatch, and go about his process and if the lawn need aeration in the fall to do it then. And his quote was " he has been doing this for 17 years and this is how he has always done it" with success. I have been cutting lawns for 3 years. Went to school for horticulture but all this is still new to me. Every step os a learning process that I will not forget for the next time. Will his way work? I'm guessinf it will since he has been in business this long.

10. Natural Impressions

And I'm guessing the thaching it to loosen the soil for the seed