Restoring an older Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blimpguy, Dec 1, 2005.

1. blimpguy

blimpguy LawnSite Member

Got my eyes on an older MC series walker. Needs an engine, but i'm told that the chain drive hydros are going to give me alot of problems. The machine is in good shape and just needs a good cleaning from sitting up. I'd like to get it for my yard and mabey some other yards for side work.
    I'd just like to get another opinion.

2. gumper48

gumper48 LawnSite Member

I started out with a fixer-upper walker, chain drive, drive shafts the whole nine yards.
    engine was ok.
    It turned out to be a pain in the arse. one thing after another went wrong or bad.
    I got it originally to cut my yard and my elderly neighbors (both 1/2 acre lots). Paid 500.00 for it.
    it nearly nickled and dimed me to death.
    ended up buying a new one - then went to Exmark.
    If you are mechanically inclined and like to tinker, a used mower would probably be great for your application.
    but if you want a no hassle experience go new. You will probably never need to make repairs. Plus you would be more inclined to mow extra lawns if you know your equipment was dependable.

good luck
  3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

chain drive... oh phuk! can you measure and weld? either find a newer one and use that for parts, be ready to spend $3k, do a lil customizing, or i'll pay shipping to send it to me.