Restricted Herbicides

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by J.A.K. Lawn, Sep 30, 2013.

1. J.A.K. Lawn

J.A.K. Lawn LawnSite Member

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get licensed to use the heavy duty chemicals. I'm considering specializing in the removal of: poison ivy, poison oak, and other toxic or nuisance vegetation. I live in Tennessee if that helps.

2. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

I would suggest contacting your local county extension office or your state department of agriculture.
    easy-lift guy

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

You probably need your license in "right of way" vegetation management, for Tennessee. Firms that spray along roads, railroads, and tank farms need this.
    Sorry--there is no "heavy duty" stuff. There is an array of herbicides, but most require repeated treatments...or...they act as soil sterilents which would kill nearby trees.

High risk job unless you are positive you are not affected by poison ivy, sumac, and oak.

4. J.A.K. Lawn

J.A.K. Lawn LawnSite Member

Thanks. I'll look in to the "right of way." I'm only affected by poison ivy mildly if Im covered in it. Sumac is kind of an unknown for me. I'm still trying to study as much as I can. You know of any good sights that specialize in toxic plant removal?

5. CL&T

CL&T LawnSite Senior Member

Look here http://www.tn.gov/agriculture/regulatory/licenses.shtml

You don't need any sites. You study and take the test for the CO6 right of way license. After that, and I haven't looked further but in other states you have to work for somebody who does that kind of work for a number of years then you can operate on your own. So by then you should know all about what you want to know.