Restricted insecticide??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TurfPro, Oct 12, 2002.

1. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

I was looking into Chipcos' Top Choice fire ant killer and was wondering if anyone has had a chance to try it,or know if it's restricted ?
    If you have used it,how much was it?
    Thanks

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Do you know what the active ingredient is??

3. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

Fipronil

4. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I've used it. It's a great time of year to use it and it works well.

5. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

If you don't mind my asking,,,,;) how much do you pay for Top Choice in your area?
    Thanks again

6. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

I was quoted a price of 126.50 for a 50lb. bag.

7. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

"Restricted Use" products will say so in BOLD lettering and will have skull and crossbones on the label. Not a lot out there now. The only one I have is Zinc, for rodents. It's restricted because of it's secondary kill, I only use it if I've exhausted all other means.

8. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

Thanks Tony,

I bought and applied 2 sacks (50lb each) of it so-far....people seem real excited about the claims the company makes of 52 weeks of residual fire ant control,,,now if it'll just live up to it's claims :eek: could be a little embarrassing if it doesn't.
    We have been bombarded with fire ants for the last few years and people are desperate.
    Have you found it to live up to it's claims?
    Thanks

9. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Let me ammend my earlier post. Not all "restricted use" pesticides will have skull and crossbones on the label, only those with signal word "DANGER". Those are the most hazardous products and you should think twice before using them. Like I said earlier, I only have one product with this kind of label and I've only used it as a last resort and with careful monitoring. It was removed after results were achieved.