Results from hand addressed envelopes?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mrusk, Mar 29, 2005.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Where i live, everyone is going to be cutting grass in 3 weeks. I have to figure out how to pick up about 20 or so lawns fast. I read a post awhile ago, about mailing out hand addressed envelopes, with a nice letter on letterhead. If i remember right the post said it lead to good results. I figure i could mail out about 1500 or so for around a grand. I would also include in the envlope a 1/3 page glossy flyer with coupons. These would all go to homes, that i had picked out, or atleast in the general area that i want to gain customers. Would this be a worth wild advertising venture? The local newspaper wanted 83 per a thousand just to incert a flyer. A local direct mail co, quoted me 1700 to mail 5000 7x8 post cards to 5000 homes, however it would just be sent to everyhome in the zip code.

What do you think. Flyers or door hangers really won't work. I live in the country. It would take for ever to put them out. Houses are far apart here. If you have a better idea for me to spend around 1500 let me know. I plan on putting my add in the service directory of the local paper friday, and that runs 211 for 7 weeks, circulation around 20k. I think i am going to get some flyers made up and put them in the newspaper boxes.

What ever advice you have for me let me know. I have to make up my mind in the next 2-3 days.

Matt

2. andersonmowing23

andersonmowing23 LawnSite Member

I would say go for it, I think the letter will be a nice touch and if you send some coupons with it they have more reason to hang on. Another idea is to use reverse street address from www.whitepages.com, you could just type in the street and then past the names into word and print them on labels, just thought It might save you some time. I know its not hand written but might be a little bit easier on you. It will defiantly look more professional in my opinion, but you never know the customers might like the hand written touch, they might feel like you are writing specifically to you. You could try half in half or something with hand written and printed labels and see what gets you better results to. Good Luck with it and remember to tell us how it went for you :cool2:

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

good way to target specific neighborhoods, but expensive, i am getting pretty good response from flyers inserted into the local newspaper,,,

4. CelticGreens

CelticGreens LawnSite Member

mrusk,
    where are you located?? im in Verona NJ in essex county. im 22 and this is my second year. maybe we can help each other. i know flyers are time consuming, but you gotta do what you gotta do. im trying to get out 10,000 in the next three weeks. What company are you using thats quoting you 1700 for the 5000 circular??? i could use that in the fall or next spring. let me know