Results of Iron - How Fast ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by EdTLawn, Jun 7, 2007.

1. EdTLawn

EdTLawn LawnSite Member

How long would it take to start seeing the grass green up after applying iron sulfate ? I am using iron sulfate green crystals in a concentrated solution and applied with a garden sprayer at 30 teaspoons/gallon setting. I can smell the iron/rust smell and it even stains my shirt to a rust color.

Yes, I guess the grass is greener on the other side ...not !

2. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

24-48hrs, depending on how activly growing the lawn is at time of application.

3. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

thats crap. no 24-48 hours. Iron helps the grass carry oxygen but it usually takes 5-9 days for the green to pop. you cannot burn a lawn with iron so use plenty and use it often. It last about 3 weeks in most cases....

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

u can turn a lawn black with to much iron

5. Nathan Robinson

from 47712

that is true as well. if you spray it in low volume it will turn so dark it appears black!

6. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

well i apply it as a liquid (ferrmec ac) and i get resualts in 1-2 days if the lawn is growing and is waterd. so... i guess you need to eat your crap :hammerhead:

7. Nathan Robinson

from 47712

fine Teeca, I will eat my crap. The cost of food is to high anyhow! I spray as well. you must have that special grass and special iron where you live....

8. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

yes sir yes sir, seen that before:)

9. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm picking up a sprayer this weekend and will begin doing Iron apps to my yard. Where do you guys get your concentrate from? I've found a couple sites online where I can get a gallon of chelated for about $40. Is that a decent price??

10. unit40

unit40 LawnSite Member

I ran some soil tests and found I needed some micro-nutrients including iron at specific levels. I found Lesco iron-plus to be a perfect product. had everything I needed at the right percentages/ratios. Only problem is I have to stretch a 50 lb. bag over an acre. I have to treat 40 acres. Ran two bags through the spreader until i got it calibrated right. Problem is I can't see the pattern but want uniform coverage. It is a lighter material than a poly-plus turf fertilizer. This is going to be a tuff app, I don't want any streaking.