Retail Sales?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green in Idaho, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Is anyone selling retail to the do-it-yourselfers to reach that 'other market'?

Fertilizer bags delivered?
    Liquid spray chem?
    Power tools?
    Tools?

2. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

A delivery service? Or do you mean from a store?

I don't but was wondering what you ment.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

If it was a slow day, I did some retail sales, mostly grass seed & straw. I buy straw at $1 and sell it at $5 a bale delievered. same with the grass seed cost around $1.50 sell at $3 pd. I usually wait till I get a couple of neighbors that can't afford to have me do the install and then offer it as an option. I can make around $630 day doing this. $315 per house and I only make 1 trip. Of course if I could have done the install I would have been making a whole lot more!!!

4. Green in Idaho

from Idaho

Like since you may have 800 bags of fertilizer in the shop, do you advertise or tell your currrent customers that they can buy fertilizer from you.

Just the issue of "having the volume and buying discounts, so if they want to do-it-themselves, I'd be happy to tell the supplies too"

Could be the same for lanscape installation-

5. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I think you better becareful if your are selling restriced use pesticides. If you read the labels only trained operator's can use and apply. But of course I dont know what your selling.

6. Green in Idaho

from Idaho

Yes there's always the requirements and regs to follow, but for those that do.... ?

7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Also, be aware that selling something on a regular basis puts you in the category of "merchant", which opens up a whole can of legal worms, i.e. express warranty, etc.

8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Green in Idaho,

Those are some great ideas with the potential to inspire others!