Retaing wall help

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by childret, Mar 13, 2008.

1. childret

childret LawnSite Member

Going to give a bid for a customer who wants a retaining wall down one side of the property. I have done several retaining walls before but never this big. It is about 140 ft long and it has to be brought up about 2 ft. then backfilled. What type of block would be the best, with a cap, and what is the going rate for a retaing wall of that length? Been doing landscaping for 8 years but just dabbled in the hardscape business. I know I have to dig the footer and put down base. Just dont know what price I should throw out there. I am located in Florida. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

I think the going rates down there are slightly less than the rest of the country. I would say figure the cost of your block, drainage, and base materials and add about $0.35 per block. That should get you in the range for your area.

3. Paver Gangster

Paver Gangster LawnSite Member

$9.95 square foot. Make it a winter blow out sale.

I would go to ncma.org and down load some Tek sheets before building this 140" wall on a "footer".

4. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Too many variables --- but $55/ft2

5. Total Landscape Solutions

Total Landscape Solutions LawnSite Member

6. childret

childret LawnSite Member

thaks total landscape ill make sure to submit that bid

7. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I would be at 19k. Don't forget to add in your submerged course.

8. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Thats funny cause I come up with 19100 under ideal conditions with no extras. We are a little further north so we have to dig our footers a little deeper with a little extra reenforcement. Plus our mixer is broken so we have to rent one. Thats a lot of bags for my guys to carry.

9. childret

childret LawnSite Member

wow thats a lot of money thanks for your help.....

10. EuroStone

EuroStone LawnSite Member
    from florida

heres the formula...140 x 2.5= 350 sqft x $25 [floridas avg rate] = $8750
    we use allen block and anchor wall. you can find detailed installation instructions on there web sites.