Retaing Wall

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by TnToutdoors, Oct 17, 2013.

1. TnToutdoors

TnToutdoors LawnSite Member

Had to add onto an existing wall and end up against the old concrete wall it was a pain in the ass but lets hear where I went wrong or could have done better. Other then letting my guy work without a shirt on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. randosh4

randosh4 LawnSite Member

Wrong color:canadaflag:

3. TnToutdoors

They didn't have antiqued gray. The existing wall had been there for who knows how long
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

The pictures are kinda distant. Can't see much of the wall. Do you have any close ups?

Hard to comment when the the wall is 100 yds away :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. TnToutdoors

Ill look when I get home on my way to enjoy myself self throwing block around
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see anything evidencing grid was used. That wall needs grid. No grid? Or, Yes Grid?

7. TnToutdoors

Yes grid
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. TnToutdoors

Any reason why the people who built the existing wall wouldn't use drainage?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

I've had the same thing before, and right or wrong, I popped the lip off the block and merged the last 3 or 4 block into being vertical, thus aligning with the concrete wall. I drilled a hole in the concrete wall, and made some "dead-men" anchors every other course consisting of a piece of re-bar inserted into the concrete wall, and epoxied in, chipped/cut a slot for the rebar, which then anchored out behind.

deadman.jpg

10. TnToutdoors

Ya it looks like you had a pretty nice concrete wall to work with. The one on this job was leaning so making the block meet up flush was impossible. It won't be long before Im adding to the wall once again I'm sure. There's probably another 75' of concrete wall left in different stages of falling apart.
    Posted via Mobile Device