1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Retaining customers from last season?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jcr_17, Feb 20, 2004.

1. jcr_17

jcr_17 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Retaining customers from last season?

What are some of the methods used to let customers from last season know that you are still interested in operating as their LCO. Should I call them, stop by and visit, or send junk mail?
  2. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

I always tell them in the fall and give them a reminder call about the end of February. I don't do contracts with my residentual lawns but that is a different story that most will tell you to renew contracts at the 1st of the year. I just let my good work keep them as a satisfied customer. Yes I do keep about 90% of my lawns every year. Only loose a few to moving. 1 or 2 a year at the most. I still have almost all of my 1st year customers from 6 years ago. Just give them a friendly reminder call to let them know that you are still interested in cutting their low again this season. Good luck.
  3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

I would think stopping by would be great if you can do that, second would be to call.
  4. Jroctx

Jroctx LawnSite Member
    from Austin

If they signed an agreement, it states that the agreement automaticly renews unless giving a written 30 day notice of cancelation. But of course, we keep a dialogue with them.
  5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

All of these ways are good, but I always send out a letter early in the year, telling them of new services that I am offering, or trying to sell some more services to them. The letters have helped me sell more services. The ones on contract get the renewal in mail, with proposed raise increases, and added services that can be added, and the cost of adding them per month. Works for me...;) :D :cool:
  6. dWn Sth

dWn Sth LawnSite Member

What you need to do is look at what type of work you can provide in the off season. Hanging Christmas lights can be profitable and hold on to your customers year round.
  7. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

At the end of each season I inquire about who will be returning in the spring. Then in the spring I send out my service agreements and wait for them to return by mail.
  8. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I'll add this to my last post.....communication is key!!