Retaining wall advice

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by green338, Jul 31, 2013.

1. green338

green338 LawnSite Member

Hi,

I'm looking at this job, the HO is looking to get a retaining wall 2' in height and 25' in length out of 8x8x16 cinder blocks. Additionally, a 6' high wood fence would be anchored to the retaining wall.

My question, how deep should the footing be? I quoted a 16"W X 24"D concrete footing. I'm wondering if this is overkill or not? What size would you build the concrete footing? Is the width more important than the depth on a retaining wall/fence setup like this? Overall, the height of the wall and fence would be 8'

The HO request the cinder blocks to be filled in with concrete. The job is on county property and usually retaining walls under 3ft do not require a permit. I'm not sure if the situation changes once a 6' wood fence is added, in regards to obtaining a permit. I'm going to call tomorrow.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

Go below frost line in your area

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I hope you don't specify "cinder block" in your proposal because you may have a problem locating cinder block.

"Cinder block" has not been in production since the 1970's......

4. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Seen some at Lowes

5. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

That's concrete block. What wise guy meant to say is that cinder block was made with...cinders. Ash. To keep them light. They don't make them anymore. Still commonly called cinder block.

8x16 wide footing located below frost is sufficient. Tie some rebar in and dura wall and you're golden.

6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

It's not cinder block

7. Stillwater

Sub it out to one of the 1/2 day guys hear on lawnsite.

8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

When drafting legal documents (known as proposals), its advised to use the correct terms and names.

You are WRONG. its not commonly cinder block.

perhaps it was through the 80's. and old men may still call it that.

The name is concrete masonry units (CMU).

And that's what the proposal needs to state.

If you state "cinder block", then you're committing yourself to providing something that you can only find stacked out behind someone's barn.

9. Stillwater

I have about 300 cinder blocks come and get them

10. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Better do a core sample, they may be cmu. I think DVS meant well, he just didn't say it in the most polite way, but what do you expect from a guy located in the county jail.