1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Retaining Wall around Culverts

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by AKC Ranch, Oct 17, 2008.

1. AKC Ranch

AKC Ranch LawnSite Member

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site but have read some threads and there is some great information here.

My question is I need to install a retaining wall around (2) 3' culverts and I am new to retaining wall construction. I want to make it look like a stone wall. (see attached) I thought about using conrete block with verneer stone, but then I heard about Redi-Rock. So I contacted Redi-rock and they gave me a bid of 10k not installed. I felt like that was high. I think I should probably hire someone to do this for me, becuase I would rather get it right the first time, but what should this cost to install. (the lights will not be there day 1). Also if you guys know of anyone in the North Texas area that does this kind of construction and you would recommend them, please let me know.

Thanks,

Attached Files:

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

It will cost a lot more than 10K.

3. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, thats a pretty big project.
    mike

4. AKC Ranch

The 10k was only the materials, they said that is will cost around 18k with labor. Is that about cost what I am looking at?

5. Summit L & D

Summit L & D LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds a little on the cheap side. Don't forget you will have some expense for the base material and the geo grid (if you choose to use it with the block)...I don't think that was included in the 10k you had quoted for materials. 8k for labor....that sounds like a base price, figure a little more.

6. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like a cool project. Just looking at it I would think it should be a little more money wise. Don't know where you are but what about Versa-Lok? It could be Weathered block or maybe their Mosaic block style?

7. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

your looking at at least a 60k project not seeing the sight condition and could be more like 90k when all is done.

8. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

That seems high!! I would say 25-40k, all depending on site and materials.

9. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I'm thinking the wall portion of the job should be in the $20-25k range, depending on the type of block you use.

Judging from the price you were quoted for the Redi-Rock, I'd say you'll be looking at closer to $25k.

10. AKC Ranch

Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies. Thats a little more than I wanted to spend right now (especially now with the economy), so we will see if I go forward with this project. I really think it would make our road much nicer and I would not have to worry about dirt washing out on heavy rains. Right now there is just dirt and a gravel driveway over the culverts.

Has anyone ever used Redi-Rock. Those concrete blocks are massive. I am just curious if anyone has any feedback. Is there any other blocks you guys would recommend?

Thanks,