Retaining wall base

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by cbass139, Mar 18, 2013.

1. cbass139

cbass139 LawnSite Member

I have always used 3/4" stone base as my base for my walls and am curious to the differences and best methods and aggregate for wall base as I understand that 3/4" clean stone is acceptable... I can't wrap my head around it but looking for some thoughts as to 3/4" base vs 3/4" clean stone for walls and what process is used to use 3/4" clean stone as a wall base
    Posted via Mobile Device

OUTLANDER LawnSite Senior Member

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure what all your names of stone are. But we have used both - #57 aggregate and CR8. Without problems.
  4. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used #57 and #411 with no problems.
  5. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used both.
  6. clipfert

clipfert LawnSite Member

Why are looking to change he accepted method for wall base? If you we're to use 2B (3/4" clean) as opposed to 2A Modifed (3/4" with fines) how would you fine tune your base course block? Any concrete sand that is used would migrate into your 3/4" clean stone. If you we're looking for another method instead of
    2A Modified for your base look into flowable fill as a base material option.
  7. cbass139

cbass139 LawnSite Member

I am with you on using "2a modified" I always have
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. cbass139

cbass139 LawnSite Member

2b is an accepted method... I am set in my ways as well but if there is an advantage to 2b and it is better then what I have been doing I will try it out... A fellow contractor friend who just started out had asked me about this and I was never aware of it and had told him that using #57 is not correct then he had insisted that other reputable contractors use this method I began to do some research and was very embarrassed to have misinformed him so now I am seeking the correct information
  9. cbass139

cbass139 LawnSite Member

I have not educated myself thoroughly and aggregate and soils. I know basic stuff but I have always used cr8 which in my understanding is 3/4" crusher run which has 3/4" stone and smaller fines... Could this also be called 3/4"- due to the sieving process.. Where can I find information to educate myself on aggregates and proper uses.. I have always used cr8,#411,2b, as a base for walkways, patios, and walls. I am assuming this terminology all means the same. I pride myself on my craftsmanship but am always looking to educate myself and learn new things constantly. Being in business for a while know I should have learned this. I appreciate all feedback and criticism highly..

In regards to usinge either materials... Why have you chose to switch from one to the other are there any reasons? And what process do you use to use #57 as a wall base as far as compacting and leveling..
  10. cbass139

cbass139 LawnSite Member

Never what?