Retaining Wall Collapses

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Mar 30, 2014.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

There is much larger block available, and it's manufactured locally. However this wall was probably built before the larger block was available.

Looks to me like the wall was built by the developer. And this is a prime example of why developers will develop a parcel of land under a different biz name, and then dissolve the business once they close out the development. Which dissolves the liability for the developer. However I believe the engineer and the wall builder may still be tracked down.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. jmkr02

jmkr02 LawnSite Senior Member

So they don't brand the development? For their portfolio of home development projects?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. DVS Hardscaper

Some developers certainly do. Many do not. Probably more don't than do.

This particular site is one HUGE development. It was only farm remaining in the area.

4. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

but what do you think the builder did when they excavated the foundations and found grid? probably cut it :hammerhead:

5. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

basically is the main/holding company is XYZ Builders, usually each different development they do will be XYZ Builders 1, XYZ Builders 2, etc

6. DVS Hardscaper

Also keep in mind that the developer and the builder are usually two different people.

7. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

No they build the wall. It's usually the sane people building developments.

Dvs who is manufactured local? Cambridge?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. DVS Hardscaper

Usually the company that does the site work for the developer is not the same company that digs the foundations for the builder.

2 different happenings.

Home builders have their own subs that they use on all their communities. And developers have their own contractors as well.

The question is - was the grid long enough to begin with? But I think even if the grid exceeded specifications, this still would have happened.

Was the correct soil used?

And really, I personally think all the water coming off the roof tops was the major cause. We've had a lot of snow. And it never really warmed up to dry the ground out.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. TnToutdoors

TnToutdoors LawnSite Member

Little bit of duct tape, orange construction fence and bailing wire and that thing will be as good as new. Id hate to be the one repairing that.

10. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

DVS sent you a message... Actually don't know if I did it correctly.
    Posted via Mobile Device