Retaining Wall Collapses

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Mar 30, 2014.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Many people send me private messages. But when I use my smart phone, this site does not notify you on the screen of private messages, so I never know they're there. And the e-mail address I use for this account, is an e-mail acct I don't use, so I don't get the e-mail notifications that there are private messages.

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

229. If a builder has built a house for a man, and has not made his work sound, and the house he built has fallen, and caused the death of it's owner, that builder shall be put to death.

http://zotzelectrical.com/BuildingCodes.htm
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen LawnSite Member

That's going to be a disaster to rebuild. I can't see much setback in the wall its self. And how could they have used grid at a reasonable length and then built that structure where it's at?

I'd be nervous as a contractor, and I'm sure my engineer would be equally nervous, to rebuild anything right there without major major work.

What say you DVS?

4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

maybe they'll drive some sheeting in?

5. neighborguy

neighborguy LawnSite Member

There are options that could be done, but takes a very specialized area of expertise (I am not saying that I am that guy). I do know that they could do soil anchoring (depends on everything behind wall and underneath building) or similar options.

6. DVS Hardscaper

they said on the news tonight that the HOA has been planning to fix the wall, but the snowy winter has prevented the contractor from getting started.

It will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to rebuild

7. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

They say why it failed? Wasn't on news here I don't think
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. DVS Hardscaper

News reporters have no idea about engineering

It failed from the same reasons why almost all walls fail - hydrostatic pressure
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

10. G_Dubs

G_Dubs LawnSite Member

thought this would be an appropriate thread to post this instead of starting a new one.

I got a call to look at this property last week and this is one of the walls that was built incorrectly.

I found no drainage behind or filter fabric behind any of the walls, there is littler to no batter, as well as their aesthetic appearance being awful. Soil is pouring through these boulders, and it's only been above freezing for a couple of weeks.

If this wall decides to go, it could take out the porch posts, and the gas meter nearby.

Other than putting jacks under the porch and taking the wall apart and rebuilding, what other options do you see?

Attached Files:

• Doc1.pdf
      File size:
      812.3 KB
      Views: