Retaining wall drainage pipe options?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Redbear, May 30, 2008.

1. Redbear

Redbear LawnSite Member

Sorry no pic but I'll do my best to explain. First the wall height will be 2'. I have the foundation of two homes (very close to each other). Will be building retainers extending approx. 4' out from each house and continuing 10feet back parallel to each house with a ramp through the centre. My question is, with the wall height being just 2' and with a SRW a drainage pipe through the front being very unsightly as it is very obvious (and requiring one on each side), is there any other options OR with the height being just 2' is it necessary. Using a Pisa2 Unilock SRW.
    For those that will insist upon the drainage pipe, what is the best way to core through a 10" wall to accomodate a 4" O pipe? In the past I've just cut away a section to accomodate and it is fine but not always pretty. I have never had a wall with the pipe in such an obvious location.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

Why is the drain pipe unsightly? If your talking about the actual exit of the pipe through the wall being unsightly there are ways of fixing that. At 2' high it's probably not necessary, but cover your butt and use it anyway. Pics would help.
  3. amscapes03

Here's a pic of the drain exit. Not sure if this is what you were talking about, but figured i'd throw a pic in anyway. If this was what you were talking about, you'll need to cut the blocks to make a nice fit for the drain grate cover.

4. getthenet

getthenet LawnSite Member

Nice detail amscapes. I would definatly put in the drain pipe even if it is only 2' tall. You can't ever tell if water might build up behind it or not. If you have the option, you can run an underground tight line from the end of the wall down hill to another not so obvious location. But what amscape is showing you is a nice option.
  5. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

What did you use to cut that in? Maybe a 4" Grinder? Looks good. Any real water coming out of there would probably blow that grate off but I have never seen much water come out of the drains in a block wall.
  6. BOEpavers

BOEpavers LawnSite Member

We always install drainage regardless of the height. As was stated it is cheap insurance. As for the exits of the drain through the wall, it depends on the block. If it is a 6" (or 3"), NDS makes a nice 6" by 6" square grate that has back connects for 4" corrugated or 4" s&d. With that, you may have to make 1 cut to keep the bond lines in the course where you want them. For other block or other situations we do as Amscapes illustrated, and cut the 4" opening with an angle grinder/diamond blade combo and use the round grate. The square I mentioned comes in black, white, and green and I believe you can order a metal version that is brass and maybe stainless.
  7. amscapes03

Earthworker: Used a 7" grinder & 2 small screws to hold grate on.

BOEpavers: It's funny how you can do something year, after year, after year and forget about "thinking outside the box". There have been so many applications where a square grate would have made the job easier and quicker. No matter how simple and obvious, thanks for the tip! See, an old dog can learn new tricks.
  8. BOEpavers

BOEpavers LawnSite Member

Here's a pic of the 6" square grate in a 3" EP Henry Coventry Wall. No cuts at all required in this application for the grate.

9. amscapes03

That looks good man. Very nice! Can't wait to use a square now.