1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

retaining wall for raised patio

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by adilhoxha, Jun 2, 2007.

1. adilhoxha

adilhoxha LawnSite Member

I'm going to be building a raised patio (about 24" high - 15' x 25') out of stone - just wondering about the wall I will build to hold all that gravel and pavers in place. The look isn't important because they are building planters around the outside edge - but for strength I've been told two ways - typical (and more expensive) wall block that has grooves and interlocks or another type of stone (I think they called the brand/name "delight"[?]) that looks like a glorified cinder block with some plastic clips; which the supplier said, in combination with filling them will gravel and using construction adhesive, would work fine for my retaining wall. Any thoughts/experiences with building a raised patio wall? Just don't want any future problems - want the patio to be be solid.

2. greg1

greg1 LawnSite Member

You really can't beat the longevity of decorative block retaining walls. They are very dimensional and tight fitting, hence they keep your other materials more confined and structurally sound for a longer period of time. The planters can be built and incorporated with the same block material. Depending on the setting and customer preference you may not want to use a modern or manufactured material, if so be prepared to hire a very skilled stone mason.