1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

retaining wall has got spots

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by gr42, Jul 9, 2004.

1. gr42

gr42 LawnSite Member

I did a mulch job for a customer and he asked if I knew what the the white blemishes on his windsor wall were. I don't work with brick but I told him I'd look into it.

they are tan windsor bricks and some contain a milky stain, like a white-wash. Is this mold? The affected area gets at least a half day of full sun.

thanks for your help.
  2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Is it a new wall?

Could be effloresence?

A natural occurance in pavers and wall stone that goes away with time. I'd have to look back in some of my literature to recall exactly what causes it. I think has something to do with moisture working out of the concrete.

The use of stonedust instead of concrete sand on paver jobs will promote this phenomanon (sp?).

If there is an expert opinion out there, feel free to expand on, or correct any of my statements.
  3. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like effloresence to me. Mark is right, it should go away in time. If not, there are products that remove it, but I can't remember right off what they are....

4. clyde

clyde LawnSite Senior Member

salt out of the ground is working its way up the pours in the masonry .... by the way of capillary action.

its the same way plants get water all the way to the top. Water will climb up to 2 miles up with nothing pushing it other than itself with this phenomena

we were learning about this last semester in one of my architect class very interesting

thats why u have to put moisture barriers under masonary. At least on of them.
  5. gr42

gr42 LawnSite Member

thanks for your replies, guys. very interesting