retaining wall help

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by SimonCX, Jun 7, 2008.

1. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

I have to bid on a new job and was wondering what you guys would bid on this, I've done small hardscape projects so I not really sure on the price. It's 2 garden walls one is 70ft long 2 curves rest is straight the other is about 80 ft long 4-5 curves ground is pretty level. Wall is ep henry english garden wall alittle less then 1.5 blocks exposed + capped, it has to be this because they have the front done with this and want the same block same look. Good acess for for my tractor and close to the truck, not sure if I could fit the backhoe because it is pretty close to the house so it might have to be dug by hand. There would be very little back fill because the beds are alittle raised, that's one of the reasons they want the wall because the mulch washes out when it rains hard. I still have to see if the price didn't go up on the blocks since the last time. Wall would be done 1 now and other in the fall so they can split the expense. Any input on price for each wall, I know price for block will be a big factor?

2. SimonCX

Anyone with suggestions?

3. Hardscaping1

Hardscaping1 LawnSite Member

I can't help you with pricing on the installation but do know that ep henry has not had a price increase in over a year.

4. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

$45 per sq ft for everthing, but i would have to see it

5. northjerseymonster

northjerseymonster LawnSite Member

Take a sheet of paper
    Calculate materials needed block base sand glue etc.-$

Estimate labor hours,don't short yourself Xhourly wage-$

Factor in nonproductive time- sending a guy for material or lunch whatever X hours - $

Include overhead(most guys don't)- Fiscal equipment costs divided by length of say a ten month work season(300 days). for example you may have payment on mason dump. gas for compactors. Fuel for this job. Each job should be estimated to pay a portion of these costs. Don't forget insurance and workmans comp. Multiply your daily overhead expenses by the number of days estimated for this job-$

Add all your $$ together

Add desired profit % to total

Divide by Square foot of job= price per SF

This isn't everything but it provides a good structured checklist to see where you can cut SF costs and not your profit.

Good Luck.

6. SimonCX

Thanks guys, I'm going over the numbers to see how much all materials and labor will be and then I'll see what to bid, I'm definitlty not biding low because I don't want to work for free. My guess is they they probably won't go for it because when I talked to them they seemed like they wanted to find the lowest price so I'll see what they say.

7. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

let us know what you come up with for the price per square foot

8. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

all you can do is submit a fair estimate.a quote should be 25.00 dont let yourself be scammed by cheapskates.

9. SimonCX

Just got the final bid done and it came out to around $4800 for 190 ft of 2 stack garden wall because they changed what they wanted before. Just like I though they were cheap, they though it was going to be around $1200 because thats what a guy quoted them 2-3 years ago. I told them have a nice night and go call him.

10. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

lol everyone in our area is like that :p Ive done smaller ones that are eh, 45ish feet or smaller and 1-2 feet tall with top caps out of Rinox rio 90 wall block for 2kish range. You could get more and that honestly was bundled with a big landscape job and soil for inside the wall was already charged to raise it all up with the new plants.

Im doing another small one thats only 20' long with some edge stone around the small portions of the garden to retain the mulch bed back and lining the tree bases out front.

Usually we dig the footing portion by hand because it doesnt have to be deep or large, a couple we do with the loader if we're already excavating for a garden bed and removing bulk of clay or something.