retaining wall install and the ground is spongey after compaction!

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Hardscaping, Sep 17, 2008.

1. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

If he didnt care about doing it right he wouldnt be here asking questions. Get over yourself.

2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

We call it "cowbelly" and you aint solving the problem by digging to China. Here is what you do with no icpi jingo jango. Dig the trench as you normally would, if you get that spongey feeling I want you to dig a bit deeper (about a foot or so) and add 2" minus. Mix in with it a bag or two of portland cement and spread it on the 2" base. It will absorb the water and make your base harder. Compact with a plate compactor, (don't use the jumping jack) when you get back up to your normal sub grade I want you to lay a geo-tex over the compacted 2" minus and the remainder of the trench. Now go about your regular wall building techniques. Have a good day.

3. Hardscaping

Hardscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have never done it personally but my dad has done it a few times and he lives in newfoundland with way worse winters then here, he showed me a driveway he did with this method and it was perfect not one imperfection. It was about 4 years old. He said as well as others have agreed, also apparently some engineera recomend it for driveways as it can help alot as long as installed properly.

I would say the best thing to do is ask an engineer possibly about the method as i have never done it personally but i have heard alot of good things from a few different people.

4. Hardscaping

the job is done i am in the clean up stage. this thread can be closed.

5. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

So you've nothing else to say! Ok management did you get that, CLOSE THE THREAD! HARDSCAPING HAS NOTHING MORE TO SAY:laugh:

6. Hardscaping

Hey witht he problem you apparently have with me just stop posting in my threads once you see i have wrote it then you should just click the back button and not worry about it.

You obviously don't have a clue about much because all you do is talk ish.

7. Hardscaping

I asked for help i got what i needed why do i need to go on more?

8. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think i'm allowed to post on any thread i care too! How old are you? I will say your input on this site is very hilarious and entertaining.:) I don't have a clue about this work, that is really funny. I guess being in the hard and landscaping business for 14 years with 2 bobcats, mini-x, hydro-seeder, trucks, 4 trailers, laser, saws, and all hand tools even all paid for is just talk. :hammerhead: Son, i don't come on here with 15 pages of bull crap about a job i'm trying to get and don't have a clue about. Neither do i have to ask about a srw footer since i have over 300 walls experience. I know you would like to play in our world but you have a long way to go. Btw some of us do make a living doing this work.
    Mike

9. Hardscaping

Well some of us are starting out making a living in this work. you have to understand that we come here to ask for help and as$holes like you should help since you say you have all this experience. instead of talking ish and bragging about the equipment you have, just help and be on with your life. Don't get your kicks from me, i am on here to learn and i can only learn when people can show me valid points.

By the way i just used my brand new concrete saw today, does that make me a better hardscaper because i own it now and not rent it when i need it.

10. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess i'm the only one that pushed your button here? I have given and will continue to give advise here. Even for you, I have read pages of replies telling you not to do the driveway and i make 2-3 replies and you jump me. Let me start fresh, i do general landscaping ( new yard installs, excavation, etc. ) i am now 1 of the largest srw cont. in my area. I never got in to pavers believe it or not because i stayed busy with other work. I decided this year to do a patio and 60' of sidewalk at my new home for learning experience. I completed it just working on weekend with out my staff. It looks good to me and i posted it earlier for critque and got some responce which helped me learn. My point is i know i am not ready to do a driveway that you was talking about. Its a matter of knowing your limitations and you are not ready for it either from reading your posts. Keep on getting experience with smaller jobs working your self up to the larger jobs.
    Mike