Retaining Wall Labor question/advise

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dieselman, Aug 31, 2004.

1. dieselman

dieselman LawnSite Member

Slowly breaking away from the company I work for to do my own stuff and not real good at doing quotes yet...We have done many retaining walls....... Here's my opportunity.....It's a 250' Allan Block wall that is "L" shaped. It starts with 3 courses on one end, building to 7 courses at the far end of the "L". The customer will purchase ALL MATERIALS. I need to pay for only the skid steer and the plate compactor rental. He wants us for just the labor, per block. We have figured that it will be about 2000 blocks including caps. He said he was thinking about $5 per block for just the labor...3 of us should be able to knock it out in 3 to 4 days no problem...What you guys think?
    Thanks
    Todd

2. Dig-it Landscaping

Dig-it Landscaping LawnSite Member

That 5$ a block is too low i think but that is just me. If it is larger block that costs 5$ per block for materials you should be charging atleast 7.50$ to install them. Just my thought.

3. firststarkid

firststarkid LawnSite Member

yea between 7.50 and 8.50 sounds average. dont sell your self short.

4. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

5. capital

capital LawnSite Member

If you are working for a company that does walls would wonder why they would allow you to build one on the side ? As far as your pricing and expecations.................suggest first you decide if you want to be an owner or a guy on the side who people hire when they want it on the cheap. Because that is why they have come to you. Suggest if you are gonna stay in this business then go about it from the git go as a professional and not the guy who everyone rants about as a low baller. Decide if you want to make a living at this or make time. Based on your post their is now way for anyone to tell you if your pricing is right since they have no clue to your over head, cost of your labor, and all of the other factors that have to go into a quality bid.

6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i just put in 300ft of alan block, which was about 1200 blocks because some spots we went 2-4 high... here are some pix....

dont short yourself, i sure did. if i were you i would try to get $10.50 - $12 a block

7. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

a pic of the back corner

8. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

pic of the very back wall

9. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

pic of the side back wall

10. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

and pic of around the pool.... didnt get a pic of the cap once i cut em.