1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

retaining wall...need advice

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mudwisr2, Sep 27, 2007.

1. mudwisr2

mudwisr2 LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to begin a small project in the next week and need a little advice. It consists of:
    Cross-tie (railroad tie) retaining wall. 2 1/2 ft tall at highest point and tapering to about 35 ft long. Backfilling will consist of about 10 tons of dirt. I think my main question would be...

do I need to do a gravel footing for the ties to lay on or will well tamped dirt be OK? I am just unsure on a wall that short.
  2. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

build a proper stone footing and back fill with drainage and stone as you know you should.

I too think about taking the easy way out of things sometimes but have learned in the end the easy way becomes the hard way. Do it right the first time and you wont have to fix it later.
  3. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto - build it as you would a SRW. No matter what type of material you use for the wall , water will affect the outcome of its performance. Crusher run leveling pad and drainage aggregate behind with perf pipe.