1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Retaining Wall on Steep Slope

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by kilby123, Apr 4, 2011.

1. kilby123

kilby123 LawnSite Member

I need suggestions. Owner wants to create a backyard as presently the yard just slopes away from the house at a very steep angle (35-45 degrees) and is unusable. I'm thinking she needs to install cement retaining blocks about 12 ft out and all the way across the backyard. The exposed wall would be about 5 ft tall (hence require a permit and fence on top?). All pictures I've seen show these types of walls at the base of a slope. This one would need to be up near the top of the slope. Is this doable? How deep would the wall need to be buried? Would a second wall maybe only 3 ft tall and a further 7-8 ft or so down the slope improve the stability of the first wall? Note: the slope continues all the way down to a creek 60-80 ft behind the house. Oh yeah, there could be bedrock not far under the slope. Thanks
  2. kilby123

kilby123 LawnSite Member

More info ... because the slope starts at the front of the lot, maybe the retaining wall should only extend across the house in the backyard and not across the whole yard. This way surface water draining down the slope from the frontyard (and street) won't intersect the wall.
  3. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

any photos of the area
  4. bansheefreak

bansheefreak LawnSite Member

you might have to put a footing down for the base of the wall but a straight up wall will work. if done right the backfill and matting will hold wall up and walla a yard.. the only reason to add another wall would be to avoid putting a fence up.. say one wall 2ft and bottom wall 3 ft with few ft between you might not have to have a fence. jmo
  5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

No Pictures needed.

Naturally, a footing is needed.

You can always put a wall anywhere you want. It will have to be engineered.

So, your next step is to call your retaining wall engineer. The wall will most likely have to have 2-3 coursed buried below grade to help keep it from sliding down the hill.

6. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Kayaking last season in Quebec and came across this retaining wall on a steep slope. Thought I show you what type of blocks NOT to use.

kayak sept. 2010 017 (Medium).jpg

7. should have used some more wooden posts.
  8. DVS Hardscaper

You'll also need to know if the slope is native, virgin soil. Or if it's fill. If it's fill - you'll most likely need to excavate down to virgin soil.....

9. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

So just out curiosity, how does one go about doing this?
    What equiment is used and do you use and how is it used.
    As far as drainage goes, how is that done?
    And how high are these walls on these 45 degree grades?
    How do you mow something like this?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. DVS Hardscaper

I don't know bout where you're at, but usually retaining walls do not need mowing..........