Retaining Wall on Steep Slope

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by kilby123, Apr 4, 2011.

1. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I see another deleted thread coming soon:laugh:

2. OutdoorCreations

OutdoorCreations LawnSite Member

I wouldn't touch that without an engineer involved

3. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL, is that Pisa II installed backwards?

4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

No, its called "universal slope block" designed for straight walls to maximum height of 4'. Nice curves eh, no cutting required:)

5. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive never seen it, but in the picture it does look like the back side of pisa II. Either way a hack definitely installed it!

6. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

Posted via Mobile Device

7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

ok, so how do you mow / trim grass around foundations, walks, curbs, trees, posts, etc??

8. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

With hedge clippers.

Are you going to answer my other questions?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. kilby123

kilby123 LawnSite Member

Interesting questions. A retaining wall, if one is possible, would be 4-5 ft tall near the top of the slope and would create a flat area ABOVE the wall at the backdoor of the house.
    - How to mow the flat area on top if grass is planted is a non-issue. The slope below the wall would continue to be natural wild vegetation hence no mowing req'd.
    - French drains would be installed in the gravel on the uphill side of the wall for drainage.

Is a segmental concrete block wall the best for this situation and if so how would it be built. Such as ... How deep does the trench need to be below the surface? Do extra large and heavy blocks need to be used? If I find bedrock a foot below the surface do I stop or do I anchor rebar vertically into the rock and pour a solid concrete wall instead? Thanks

10. Murphy's Law

Murphy's Law LawnSite Member
    from NH

An engineer is as an absolute necessity! Only an engineer can answer these questions for you. Only an engineer can "engineer" a wall for you to build that will hold up over time. There are many courses available for you to take in the meantime on how to build this wall. Don't be fooled. You are building an advanced wall with beginers skills. And no, beginers luck will not help you out on this one.