retaining wall pic

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by shethinksmytractors_sexy, Jun 15, 2008.

1. shethinksmytractors_sexy

shethinksmytractors_sexy LawnSite Member

first time on this site. i have been building walls for a little over a year. tell me what ya think of the pics. we also did sod and irrigation. we killed the grass so thats why it looks like it does.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

First thought was ouch - what a tilt, but I'm assuming that is the camera tilting and not the wall.
    Second thought - why did you choose a beveled face when you knew you'd be building steps like that? A straight split face would have been much easier (tons less cutting on the steps) and a lot of companies make caps to cover the gaps a straight face creates. Just my opinion.
    Third thought - is there a plan for a sidewalk or something else to tie into those steps? Otherwise that stairway may look a bit out of place.
    Fourth thought- It looks great. The first three where just nit picks. What manufacture/model are those?

3. shethinksmytractors_sexy

yea i did not take the pic but camera is tilting. the wall is dead level. the homeowner did not want flat face because her neigbor had beveled. yes, a pain in the ass because we had versalock on site and thats when she decided she didnt want it. and no she does not want a sidewalk but with one there it would look better. these block are keystone/rampart block. there a good block to work with but prefer something else.

4. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

Wall looks pretty good, but I would definetely talked the homeowner into using straight blocks for the stairs. I personally don't like the look of the curved blocks, but had to use them for a wall last year. Cutting the stair blocks to fit the curves was a major PITA. But that's why they pay us the big bucks!

5. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

the customer is always right.

6. shethinksmytractors_sexy

yea exactly the customer is always right, but it aint my wall so no matter what block they use im still making money!!

7. neighborguy

neighborguy LawnSite Member

I agree with posts above but want to compliment on the quality of the cuts. Even though we all know the straight block make more sense for steps you did a great job on cutting the bevel into the caps.

Keep up the good work.

8. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

Agree with previous comments. The only other thing I see I think I would have made a change to would be the top two steps. Since you went with the beveled type stones, set back of the top course creates the illusion, or reality, of being wider than it should be. Since the bottome 3 steps appear to be tapering in as they elevate, the last two steps scream, Wooaaa... lets widen backen out.

Otherwise from what I can see, it look like a good job given the choice of stones.

9. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

the customer is not always right ,there is this thing called building code you have to think about.and as for the cuts not bad but its pavers ?????:laugh:

10. shethinksmytractors_sexy

well in this case she was right? and what do you mean its pavers??? its 4 inch concrete caps