retaining wall pics

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Infinity Landscapes Inc, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Infinity Landscapes  Inc

Infinity Landscapes Inc LawnSite Member

Just a few pics of a wall we finished. not to fond of allen block due to all the inconsistant blocks with leveling. too much extra time in scraping and releveling each row.

dulany wall 004.jpg

dulany wall 009.jpg

2. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

3. Infinity Landscapes  Inc

it was the style that client liked. so not having installed it before I thought what the hell. don't get me wrong its a nice block just not sure if every goes threw the same poblems I did. could have been a bad batch. every single peice had to be scraped/ pouned and in some cases ground down. due to to much concrete slopage.

4. klaf

klaf LawnSite Member

I use allan block all the time and recommend it whenever I can. I definitely do not have the problems with it that it sounds like you are having. Although I must say they need to redesign their corner blocks. They always sag due to the fact that they are universal and the lip underneath ends up sitting inside the hole and not on the block beneath it.

5. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

The end result looks good even if you had some problems along the way.

6. alf500series

alf500series LawnSite Senior Member

looks great what did u charge for it?

7. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like you took your time. I truly LOL at the amount of times I have seen that block 5 courses high and starting to look really bad....the few times I pointed it out, the installer was like huh? Whadyamean?

8. Infinity Landscapes  Inc

let just say not enough it all works out with the client I will break even I estamated in the 4s but labor killed

9. ridgewood

ridgewood LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Are you saying you charged $4,000+ for the wall and you did not make a profit? And why do you say "labor killed?" Didnt you know how much labor was going to cost you before you began, or was there an over-run in man hours?
    Anyways, it looks professionally done. Congrats.

10. Infinity Landscapes  Inc

big over run in man hours plus the wall went higher then we had planned on. all materials are covered and i'm working with the client regarding extra labor charges. what would you have charged to do this approx 280 blocks. Kinda off topic but we do installation around cell phone towers hear in oregon and make aboat a 500% profit on the tower installation. Tower installs have been slow this year but should be picking up soon I hope. I know you think that crazy and so do I. they don't even second guess it.
    Thanks