Retaining wall price check...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by chipper44, Jun 22, 2011.

1. chipper44

chipper44 LawnSite Member

We are looking a a to total of 775 sq/ft of wall. 155x5 ft. Customer want to expand flat area in back yard another 8 ft into the hill in the picture. I will need to excavate into the hill and build the wall from there. Im thinking a total of $21,500.00 for everything included. (blocks, excavation, geogrid, labor, crushed stone.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of block and geogrid are you going to use? If i was building the wall with Allan Block AB Classic my price came out to be about $23,500.00 so depending on materials used your price isnt bad.

3. chipper44

I will be using Allan Block AB Classic or something very similar in price. As far as the geogrid im not sure which one i will use yet.

Im glad we were in the same ball park!

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Not trying to sound arrogant, but this thread is concerning to me.

And I say this because why are you "not sure about which" grid you're going to use???? Your engineer should have speced the grid for you.

I normally will give people a preliminary proposal contigent to engineering specifications. The preliminary proposal will include engineering fees and permit fees, along with grid, aggragate, fill soil, etc.

The pics you have posted show ground that if it's going to have a wall, is going to need to be engineered. No two ways about it.

Before I sit here and set forth the time and effort to cost out what we would charge, I (along with others here) like to know that you have all your ducks in a row. The engineering. The permits. What block. Accessibility. ETC. I like to know how you derived at your cost. Basically I (along with others here) like to see that you have set forth the same effort into your price, as we would be doing to give you an idea of what our price would be.

5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Whats in the hill?, Is it a native hill or created during the construction of the development is their possible ledge in it?

6. chipper44

Posted via Mobile Device

7. chipper44

DVS,

According to local building code I do not need a engineer on this job because the wall is under 10ft in hight. I am in the process of getting a building permit. I am going to use the allan block stated above, and geogrid just not set on which strength. I feel like the type of geogrid will not affect the total cost by thousands of dollars so that should not be the m as in focus of this thread.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Budlightshooter

Budlightshooter LawnSite Member

Am i the only one thinking that that is grossly underbid? even with allen block, what happens when you have to warranty this situation? and your going dig out 15 or so feet from the flat area correct?

9. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

It's the manufacturer that says you need the engineer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. chipper44

Yes about 15 ft back.

Do I really need to spend thousands on an engineer just for someone else to tell me I need geo grid and to burry a course or two. Its a 4 to 5 ft wall not a 30ft wall with a parking lot on top.
    Posted via Mobile Device