retaining wall price

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by 31bro, Sep 16, 2007.

1. 31bro

31bro LawnSite Member
    from IN

I am going to do a retaining wall for a customer, just two high, but I don't know how to price it. It's 72 feet long with 2 turns. The retaining wall block are 12" long and they are 1.49 a piece. I am planning on digging it out and putting pea gravel as my base. I was planning on bidding at $950 is this close or am I way off?
  2. AJ Lawnscapes

AJ Lawnscapes LawnSite Senior Member

72 feet * 3 courses (1 miniumum below grade)
    6" base minimum
    1" sand or fines
    Back fill, drainage, etc.
    Labor for 4 days

This is something you should sub out and get experience by helping for free. Your price is way way way way low. I charge $30/sqft for a paver patio, think about what a retaining wall should cost.

You're giving it away for that price. I charged $21K for a 140 feet 5' high (2 courses below grade)
  3. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

$950??? NO WAY! I'm new to this but I know thats too low. I'd be at low $2k range at least. If it was perfectly straight with minimal site prep I could be under $2k but that doesn't seem like the situation.

just my $.02
  4. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

it sound like you are using a garden wall block, something from the Home Depot? That wall will be a good first experience, as long as there are no other factors or surcharges. There is no slope above or below the wall right? Is this thing purely decorative? Use a dense grade material base, and sett up forms to screed it out. AJ is correct in saying you will need to berry a course. Let us know the surrounding conditions so we can better help you, ie/ toe slope, whats behind the wall, grade of wall etc.
  5. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

You're kidding right? $30 per square foot? I get that for some walls, but never paver patios. You are one hell of a salesman.
  6. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

No sh!t, huh? I'd be living high on the hog doing flatwork for $30/ft.

It's hard to sell it for $20 here.
  7. AJ Lawnscapes

AJ Lawnscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I do have some sales experience, but I also go by the book. The book would be the HomeTech Remodeling and Renovation Cost Estimator, and this is the version for my specific area.

Although, after looking at it again, it should be about $20/sq finished, guess I made a good sale.

Materials+Labor Costs+Margin = My cost finished.

As for the retaining wall, my book states that for:

- Concrete Footing
    - Solid masonry wall with Brick facing
    - 4" tile weepholes 10ft OC with 1 cu.ft. crushed stone or gravel at each weephole
    - Parge back wall with 1/2" cement plaster or 2 coats hot tar
    - Reinforcing rods as required

Height of wall above bottome of footing:

40" = 125.61/LF ** This would most likely be your wall.
    48" = 132.82/LF
    56" = 156.08/LF
    64" = 183.92/LF
    72" = 240.90/LF
    80" = 357.80/LF
  8. dave lincoln

dave lincoln LawnSite Member

35-40$ per sq ft
  9. Picture Perfect Pavers

Picture Perfect Pavers LawnSite Member

72 feet at at 2 block high= 144 block at 1.50 = 216.00.
    if the wall is for astetics only does not have to support anything I would charge $18 a square foot for cheap block and $25 a square for expensive block with that said good luck. 72 @ $20 a square foot $1440.00
  10. 31bro

31bro LawnSite Member
    from IN

The ground is level. I am basically following the original landscaping. But I have 2 90* turns so I am going to make some big turns in it. The wall is not going to support anything, she just wants astetics the landscaping. I believe me and guy could get it done in about 8 hours. Thanks for the help guys.