retaining wall price

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by 31bro, Sep 16, 2007.

1. 31bro

31bro LawnSite Member
    from IN

I am going to do a retaining wall for a customer, just two high, but I don't know how to price it. It's 72 feet long with 2 turns. The retaining wall block are 12" long and they are 1.49 a piece. I am planning on digging it out and putting pea gravel as my base. I was planning on bidding at $950 is this close or am I way off?

2. AJ Lawnscapes

AJ Lawnscapes LawnSite Senior Member

72 feet * 3 courses (1 miniumum below grade)
    6" base minimum
    1" sand or fines
    Back fill, drainage, etc.
    Labor for 4 days

This is something you should sub out and get experience by helping for free. Your price is way way way way low. I charge $30/sqft for a paver patio, think about what a retaining wall should cost.

You're giving it away for that price. I charged $21K for a 140 feet 5' high (2 courses below grade)

3. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

$950??? NO WAY! I'm new to this but I know thats too low. I'd be at low $2k range at least. If it was perfectly straight with minimal site prep I could be under $2k but that doesn't seem like the situation.

just my $.02

4. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

it sound like you are using a garden wall block, something from the Home Depot? That wall will be a good first experience, as long as there are no other factors or surcharges. There is no slope above or below the wall right? Is this thing purely decorative? Use a dense grade material base, and sett up forms to screed it out. AJ is correct in saying you will need to berry a course. Let us know the surrounding conditions so we can better help you, ie/ toe slope, whats behind the wall, grade of wall etc.

5. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

You're kidding right? $30 per square foot? I get that for some walls, but never paver patios. You are one hell of a salesman.

6. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

No sh!t, huh? I'd be living high on the hog doing flatwork for $30/ft.

It's hard to sell it for $20 here.

7. AJ Lawnscapes

AJ Lawnscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I do have some sales experience, but I also go by the book. The book would be the HomeTech Remodeling and Renovation Cost Estimator, and this is the version for my specific area. http://www.hometechonline.com/

Although, after looking at it again, it should be about $20/sq finished, guess I made a good sale.

Materials+Labor Costs+Margin = My cost finished.

As for the retaining wall, my book states that for:

- Concrete Footing
    - Solid masonry wall with Brick facing
    - 4" tile weepholes 10ft OC with 1 cu.ft. crushed stone or gravel at each weephole
    - Parge back wall with 1/2" cement plaster or 2 coats hot tar
    - Reinforcing rods as required

Height of wall above bottome of footing:

40" = 125.61/LF ** This would most likely be your wall.
    48" = 132.82/LF
    56" = 156.08/LF
    64" = 183.92/LF
    72" = 240.90/LF
    80" = 357.80/LF

8. dave lincoln

dave lincoln LawnSite Member

35-40$ per sq ft

9. Picture Perfect Pavers

Picture Perfect Pavers LawnSite Member

72 feet at at 2 block high= 144 block at 1.50 = 216.00.
    if the wall is for astetics only does not have to support anything I would charge $18 a square foot for cheap block and $25 a square for expensive block with that said good luck. 72 @ $20 a square foot $1440.00

10. 31bro

31bro LawnSite Member
    from IN

The ground is level. I am basically following the original landscaping. But I have 2 90* turns so I am going to make some big turns in it. The wall is not going to support anything, she just wants astetics the landscaping. I believe me and guy could get it done in about 8 hours. Thanks for the help guys.