retaining wall pricing

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mattb7771, Mar 12, 2011.

1. mattb7771

mattb7771 LawnSite Member

hey guys i have built afew retaining walls with allan block and they look good but im having a hard time estimating larger jobs does anyone have an idea of what to charge for install per sq foot as of now im just roughly estimating how many hours days it will take me and using my hourly rate but im not very acurate that way :drinkup:

2. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

oooh boy. stand back the daggers are gonna start flying. Subscribing so I can watch everyone rip this apart.

3. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

So you think charging by the square foot is better than figuring out how many hours it actually takes you to build a wall?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. mattb7771

mattb7771 LawnSite Member

well it works good for me with pavers so i thought that i could use this for atleast a cross refrence when im working out a quate im kinda new to landscaping i have a lawncare buis for ten years but have only landscsaped afew year before that with another company i didnt do any estimates or quates just the labour haha

5. csl

csl LawnSite Member

$1/sq foot. every wall will be the same. easy access. same block. homeowner pays in full before the job.
    cant wait for the rest of the replys. i think my prices are fair.

6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I never know if these types of threads are for real or not. Back in Jan and Feb we had an All-So-Ethical Owner of another forum here, trying to lure LawnSite's members to his Pay-To-Enroll site. The same guy who a few recent years ago talked trash about the people here. And now he wants them at his stagnent site!

So now I'm waithin for his lap puppet, Mr. Ethical Humble Earth, the guy that told me how terrible of a person I am - to chime in like he did a few weeks ago and say "hey, here is a link to this Pay-to-Enroll......"

Mattb - no one can tell you what to charge. You have to learn through trial and error.

Also, do a search on this site. There is an enormous amount of threads here in unit pricing vs time and materials.

7. wallace014

wallace014 LawnSite Member

I had to learn that way,but its by far the best way to learn, your back will never let you forget when you didnt bid a job high enough :cry: lol

8. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I bid by per block
    example say block cost $2.00 Labor $2.00 total price per block $4.00

9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I hate Allan Block !!!!

Sorry, just had to throw that in there for good measure.

10. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

So you bid a wall that's 150x1 the same as 50x3? That makes no sense and you should keep that kind of dangerous bidding to yourself.
    Posted via Mobile Device