retaining wall question

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by golfhackk72, May 15, 2008.

1. golfhackk72

golfhackk72 LawnSite Member

Hey everyone,

I have a question regarding the retaining wall I just built. you can see in the picture, it 24" tall. do I need to add any drainage? I though I would add 8 or so inches of rock before I backfill. Also, the picture doesnt show it, but, I have added post (2 at the corner) in between each fence post to the height of the retaining wall.
    thanks for any advice.

2. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

Hope you put a moisture barrier between the soil and that wood. Also, why no space between fence boards? You are going to catch some major wind not to mention swell issues. But I have to admit it does LOOK nice.
  3. golfhackk72

golfhackk72 LawnSite Member

What kind of moisture barrier would I use? I was thinking because I used treated lumber for the retaining wall that that would last a long time. I know stone would have been better but didnt want to spend that much money on the wall so I could do more in the yard. :).
    as for the space in the fence. When I installed the pickets they had some moisture in them so I installed them very close together, but now that they have dried out there is a space between them. The picture was taken right after the install.

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Personally I would forget the moisture barrier since you used PT lumber. However, it woudn't hurt to add another coat of sealant, expecially were any cuts were made since the PT lumber today does not soak all the way through.

If you are going to backfill with soul in that area I would wrap some 3/4 clean stone in some filter fabric along the bottom foot or so of the boards. I would also drill a couple 1/2" holes in the board to allow the water to escape.