Retaining wall question

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Bleed Green, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer who asked me to fix the water run-off problem in their backyard. There is a pretty good slope to the side yard and the water runs down into the backyard causing washouts. I was thinking the best way to remedy this problem would be to build at least one retaining wall to slow down the water about halfway down the backyard at the bottom of the hill, in effect tiering the backyard. This would hopefully fix this runoff problem and still keep the yard manageable for the customer to maintain.
    I figured with a drain behind the wall that could channel the water through the wall and kind of control the flow better than just allowing the water to run full speed down the hill and hit the backyard, hopefully the wall would kind of break up the flow of the water and slow it some.

Thoughts?

2. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Pics would help, how much slope are we talking? wall heights??

My experience with people who ask for things like this don't realize how much walls actually cost to build, same with people who want to level out their yard for more grass space. But lets see some pics and get a better idea what we are dealing with.

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah dude, we're gunna need pictures.

I don't have the attention span to sit here and read and concentrate on what you're describing/asking. With pics, I take a quick look and I know right of the bat whats needs to be done.

In terms of a wall to correct drainage, I only sell walls as a last resort. If we can make something happen WITHOUT a wall, we'll go that route.

4. Bleed Green

I'll try to load pics again, tried earlier and they wouldn't load. I figured that would be the first request.

5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

the photo uploader has changed.

After you select your pictures from brousing, you have to click the upload button. it's sorta in the center of the window.

or you can upload onto photobucket and post a link.

6. Bleed Green

7. Bleed Green

I am going to have to try to figure out how this new upload works on here though. That would've been easier than creating a photobucket account just to upload two pics.

8. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

The issue is probably the size of the picture, too many mb/kb to load properly.

anyway I don't really see a slope or wash out issues? This is not at all what I pictured. How high would this wall be? I don't see where it would go at all!

And here's your pictures for reference
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think this is a need of a retaining wall issue. You need plants or even lawn in my opinion. Looks like dirt leading to a big mulch bed

10. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

^^^^^^^^^ agree