Retaining wall question

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Bleed Green, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

The brown is pine needles and they are where the majority of the washout is occurring. You guys think it would be smarter to just sod the area that has pine needles currently?

Thanks for the replies and advice guys.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  2. sdlandscape

sdlandscape LawnSite Member

I would say sodding would be your cheapest option but consider water costs and actual usage of the space, you could also put plants on the perimeter of the existing lawn without blocking the view and maybe that will break it up, or if the money is right go with the retaining wall which will give the place a more elegant look in my opinion

3. Bleed Green

That's kind of what I was thinking that the wall would give the property a nicer look.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

A nice ground cover, our if you want to try to sell more you could use other plants to frame the view to make it a focial point.

5. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Unless you put in a garden wall, i.e. a freestanding structure I don;t see where a wall will retain any type of grade, also a garden wall will obstruct the view so that's not good.

I would go with some ground cover, maybe a dry creek type deal to handle washout in certain areas.

6. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

No wall needed.

7. Bleed Green

I hadn't considered a dry creek bed. I'll see what they think about that idea.

Thanks for the replies. I am working hard and trying to learn more everyday.

8. ronr1960

ronr1960 LawnSite Member

If these are the pictures of your problem area the best way to fix this is to install dry creek beds in the areas where the run off occurs. There is no major slope shown and the beds could be accented with grasses and other plant material to offer a nice break to the landscape.

9. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

That property could easily handle a 2 - 2.5 foot wall. Theres quite a slope there, to me anyway. Don't think i'd want to see SRW block used though. A natural stone wall would look the balls and make that back yard. You should really consider what a dump that place is though, you know, make sure the deposit check clears before you start any work. Sell them a wall, grading, plantings and sod! Good luck!!!

10. Krafty

Krafty LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from St. Louis MO

That sounds ethical sell them something they don't need!!