Retaining Wall Rebuild what to charge?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by smcguirt, Nov 20, 2004.

1. smcguirt

smcguirt LawnSite Member

I have neighbor that has a retaining wall and parts of it have fallen. It is about 2 foot high and about 25-30 feet long. It needs to be taken down and rebuilt but I am not sure what to charge for something like that, any suggestions? None of the blocks need replacing just rebuilding.

Thanks,
    Shawn
    PROScapes Lawn Care
    Dallas, Ga

2. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

Two feet high and parts of it are falling? Regardless, if you can reuse the block then make a straight calculation of labor to remove existing block where needed, excavate a little here or there, and rebuild. Two feet high and thirty feet long isn't much of a wall. You could do that by yourself with a pick and a shovel in one day...

3. smcguirt

smcguirt LawnSite Member

That is the plan. I know I can do the rebuild relatively quick, just wondering what the charges should be? Hourly?

Thanks,
    Shawn
    PROScapes Lawn Care

4. Dig Yard Dirt

Dig Yard Dirt LawnSite Member

It also depends on the size of the block, if it needs a gravel footing (highly reccommend).

Not looking at the site, I would charge a $.50 a block:

135 8" block (if it is 8") take down
    Re-dig and level footing
    Install gravel for footing
    Re-install block
    Backfill with remaining gravel at base and then dirt

135x2= $135
    3 hour labordigging= $90
    Gravel, 1 1/2 ton= $30
    1 hour backfill = $30

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I think the main question is why did the wall fail in the first place??? That needs to be answered before a price can be given. If it was just because it was put up wrong by the home owner then I would charge a lot more since he already knows he's not capable of a competent job. If it failed for other reasons figure what they are and how much $$ to correct them before giving an estimate.

Mac

6. olderthandirt

from here

Math is wrong your # should be $420 :)

7. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

Agreed.
    Also what type of block is this? Are you sure this is retaining wall block and not the garden edging variety?
    For a two foot wall to fail, either the soil behind is really unstable or something was done really half-assed. Or is this 2' wall holding back a 12' slope?

BTW,
    The only right way to fix a failed SRW is tear out the wall and start from scratch, whether or not you reuse the block.

Regards,
    Active

8. Dig Yard Dirt

If it were, three layers of block, 45 block to each layer 30 feet long= 135 block. Handle them twice at .50 a piece= $135 + 120 labor + gravel 30= $285

I agree, it fell or dismantled for a reason, usually poor drainage behind the wall or/and footing. I would really have to see it to give an accurate quote.

The figures I mentioned would be just a generic quote for the scenario mentioned.

9. olderthandirt

from here

not trying to bust your balls on this but 135x2= $270 +
    still equels $420
    And I would not even touch the job for that amount double would make a good starting point. :D

Mac

10. Dig Yard Dirt

There is 135 blocks to the wall, tear it down 135x.50= $67.50. Install the wall back up 135x.50=$67.50

The 135x2 means handled the 135 blocks twice @.50 a piece= $135

Sorry, I didn't explain this earlier. I meant 135 handling them twice.

Thanks,