retaining wall ?'s....

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by SusanL, Jun 6, 2011.

1. SusanL

SusanL LawnSite Member

I have two retaining walls, one on either side of the driveway. They both need to be rebuilt, and one of them needs to be moved further back to widen the drive.

I rebuilt parts of them last year, but after the winter snow melted I found that they had pushed back out. What are some things I can do so I do not have to worry about this happening next time?

I want to plan and do it correctly; so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. SusanL

SusanL LawnSite Member

Sorry guys and galls I forgot to add pics.

This is what I am working with...
    DSC04591-2.jpg
    DSC04592-2.jpg
    DSC04593-2.jpg

DSC04591-2.jpg

DSC04592-2.jpg

DSC04593-2.jpg

3. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

you need to take them down and dig the soil out a foot under the wall and a couple feet behind the wall, pack the base with aggregate stone, rebuild the wall three-four times as wide, stack 2 over 1, backfill and compact the backside also with aggregate stone

4. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

You could try adding a drain tile too, behind the first course.

5. 4Russl5

4Russl5 LawnSite Member

Length of your stone goes into the wall also. And a thicker cap course.

6. Cam.at.Heritage

Cam.at.Heritage LawnSite Member

I agree with everything said so far, it also looks like the base of the first wall is actually resting on the driveway move it back so its completely on its own new base material.

You could also mortar the stones together, this is obviously a lot more work but if you put the mortar deep into the wall you can make it appear like its still a dry stack wall, but with the strength of a mortared wall.

7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

So did anyone notice that the first course is sitting on the driveway?

I'd mortar those suckers. I'd put the first course in type S-mortar with a couple of pieces of 1/2 rebar. I love dried laid walls, but the grade in this situation isn't conducive for one.

I'd even stick some geo-grid in one of the course as you went. Then also back-fill correctly and do drainage.

8. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I wouldnt mortar a wall with out a full 3 ft frost wall or its going to break up, no?

9. land_scaper70

land_scaper70 LawnSite Member

Personally, I feel you should call someone, a professional, in to do the job right. The bitterness of a poor job out lasts the taste of sweet savings.

10. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Na...

Think of it this way, if you mortar up a brick building, would you put a frost wall on the outside to protect it?