Retaining wall, sound good?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mexiking, Aug 30, 2004.

1. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Hi, I'm going to be doing a retaining wall for my customer...
    Its 40 feet wide, the first 7 feet is going to be only 1.5 feeth high and the rest 33 feet 2 feet. Using roman pisa from unilock. I was thinking this can be done in 1 day and a half. Would $1500 sound good just for the labor?? What would 2 of your guys take to do it? How much would you charge for the price??

I attacheda pic where its going to be (Side of drive way, from white fence until beginning of picture) I won't be removing the old rotting retaining wall or taking out the groundcover juniper..

Thanks for any input

huekewall.jpg

2. firststarkid

firststarkid LawnSite Member

The 1500 hundred is that a rough estimate or is a true one. I charge for two guys working i charge 90.00 per hour so if you work the a day and a half like i do(18 hours) then that sounds about right. also is that fifteen for removal of old wall and juniper?
    just trying to help. dont know if that helped.

3. mexiking

from NJ

" I won't be removing the old rotting retaining wall or taking out the groundcover juniper.."

and that is the estimate im planning to give the customer 1500 for just labor, since i'm going to get the stone from a dealer he knows.

4. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I think your labor estimate for 2 guys is a little on the low side. Excavation, installing base stone, compacting, leveling, 40' base course, drain?, etc.

I would be thinking at least 2 days for 2 guys. Are you digging by hand or with a machine?

5. mexiking

from NJ

I would be diggin by hand
    What would you hcarge than?? if it took 2 of your guys 2 days...

6. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

mexiking,

will you be cutting the asphalt drive that runs along side it? I would cut and remove the asphalt, try to keep your gravel base under neath. pour in your qp and compact, level you first course of block and run drainage pipe behind, run second course and start backfilling with 3/4.If you would like i can assist you on this one. The Unilock wall stone is only 4 inches tall so you will need at least 6 courses high to build.The only thing i dont like is that you will bot be removing the old rr tie wall. In an event that the old tie wall gives way chances are it will also knock over your wall you built in front.

Chuck

7. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

I owuld say $2000 for labor+materials+disposal