Retaining Wall Steps

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Parksman, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Parksman

Parksman LawnSite Member
    from TN

We have built many retaining walls with small steps, but need to price a new project with a large set of curving steps. We'll be using Belgard Country Manor block and the steps will rise about 12-14 feet without any area for a landing or resting spot. They are 4 ft wide. We can handle the technical aspects of the job, but any suggestions for pricing large step projects?

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Be sure you allow for overdig, grid, engineering costs and some extra labor, I would build a cushion into it. Thats a pretty big stairway.

3. Parksman

Parksman LawnSite Member
    from TN

I should have included that the wall is only 4 ft high then the steps transition into a bank that rises up to the upper level. The steps will be cut into the bank with short sidewalls to separate the steps from the dirt as they climb up the hill. Any advice on step pricing versus the typical straight wall pricing would be greatly appreciated.

4. 600rrpilot

600rrpilot LawnSite Member
    from nj

figure everything into your overhead and mark it up whatever you feel comfortable working with. once again....there is no magic number. take all details into consideration. obviously stairs are typically (but possibly not always) more costly then srw's....but to generalize a number is impossible.

5. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you are doing something very similar to what one of my customers did. check this out. With out being rude. You should know your cost and rates and be able to figure the cost for this one on your own, if not you need to do so before you start. You don't want to cut yourself short. This set up steps had a hidden bolder that was about the size of a basketball on top, but once the digging started, it ended up being about 4ft across and had to be dug out and rolled out of a big hole.

gaddy1.jpg

6. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

Southern> I like your Albert Einstein Quote! I can only spectulate you like Albert value your work on sound priciples? Nice job!

7. Parksman

Parksman LawnSite Member
    from TN

Looks like you've been to my jobsite! That's exactly my situation and your's looks great! We have installed dozens and dozens of walls much like that one, both the same type block and taller walls. But, our steps have been limited to small rises so I was just looking for anyone else's rule of thumb for 'time for steps vs time for wall' construction. Thanks for your help and the picture!