Retaining Wall System

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by NNJLandman, Jul 15, 2003.

1. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Planning on doing my first retaining wall system for someone other than myself in my own yard. Need some help on pricing. Me and my friend are going to do it. I plan in charging for materials plus $15/hr for the each of us. Is that reasonable or am i shorting myself?
  2. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

I'd get $25 per man hour here and my area is way cheap. I bet almost everyone on this site would get more than me...I live in a cheap area. Also...make sure you know what you're doing. The reason we can charge so much is because we are professionals, and the customer can us to do the job right.
  3. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

You're shorting yourself.... big time.
  4. Peach

Peach LawnSite Member

If this is segmental .... is it?

Anyway .... big jobs in competitive areas get $13 per square face foot.

We do 3000 face foot walls for $20/foot and the guys in the hilly areas of the country are envious.

Ditto the know what you are doing. DON'T skimp soil reinforcement if the wall is critical (over 4 ft height). If it's a global stability issue ... the whole wall will fall. Then you're out of business.

I think you're low. Most folks won't pay hourly anyway.
  5. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 LawnSite Senior Member

all you guys sound like your not charging enough. out here in jersey it cost about $10 sq ft just for block.
    id say the average price around here is about $30-$40 per sq ft, installed, depending on the difficulty of the wall
  6. NNJLandman

Well I think im going to rethink my charging price. I have to go up tomarrow and measure everything so i can get an estimate on how many blocks i will need, what equipment etc.

Hey QuadRacer what part of NJ you from, Im North in Morris County.
  7. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 LawnSite Senior Member

im in north jersey too, bergen/passiac county area.
    try braen stone industries for prices and delivery, they have great prices.
    they are great guys over, they talk to yea about pricing and installation
  8. NNJLandman

We have a hardscape department at the Garden Center I work at so anything i want my boss can get from CST ( for me and won't charge me delivery plus he'll unload right at the site.

I have my own small gig going and then I work at this Garden Center