1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

retaining wall

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by qualitylawnman, Jan 22, 2006.

1. qualitylawnman

qualitylawnman LawnSite Member

I am getting ready to bid on a retaining wall that is 80 feet long and will be about 3 feet tall. We will be hand digging the footers because there is no way to get a bobcat in the back yard. I was wondering if i should charge by the sq ft or charge cost plus. Would also like to know what some of your would charge to do this wall.
  2. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

9600.00 Hand dig yuk
  3. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

If you could get a hired mini-ex into the site then I would factor that into a sq/ft rate. A block rate is how we quote our bigger walls. If not then its time and materials. I personally don't like...yes thats "don't like" time and materials because I like the customer to know what they are in for before the big bill comes at the end. Sometimes its the only fair way though.
  4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

There is a lot of valuable info regarding unit pricing vs charging based on the job itself. You may wanna utilize the search feature :)
  5. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

If my bobcat and hoe won't fit! I can not fit! Good luck with the hand work.
  6. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I've done my share of hand work - but you get older and wiser.

"Work smarter , not harder"
  7. LandscapePro

LandscapePro LawnSite Member

Agrees with Never and Mike......... LOL

La. Landscape Contractor #2576

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not crane a mini X over the house? It will cost you $1,600.00 for a half day, then the same to get it out. Hand labor for a week of digging with a crew is going to cost way more than that.

All you told us is the wall cannot be accessed with a bobcat. I order to price it, we need to know weather it is going on flat ground, weather you have a decending toe slope? Weather the earth on top of the wall is sloped or flat, all the good stuff.
  9. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

You could also possibly rent some mini mini stuff. They make mini skids and x's that will go 36" wide.

Hand digging? No thanks.