Retaining Wall

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by clandscaper, May 16, 2007.

1. clandscaper

clandscaper LawnSite Member

Need a little help with my first block retaining wall estimate. I have built plenty of them before, but this is my first bid since starting my own company. The wall is 75' x 3' and the hill has been recently graded and excavated, therefore little excavation is required for the retaining wall. If the paver blocks are around $6 per sq. foot, what would you guys think would be a good estimate for this relatively simple wall job? I figure I will backfill with my crusher run and put in a 4'' drainage pipe, so this cost must be accounted for as well. Crusher-run is around $35 a yard.

Also, the customer wanted a price for a dry laid flagstone wall, so they could compare prices. $25-30 per face foot sound about right for everything included (crusher-run, drainage pipe, labor, etc..)

Thanks for the input, I'll post some pics when I am done.

2. clandscaper

I really could use some input. For paver block walls, does $20 a sq ft face sound reasonable? I figure I can have it done within the week, and with the blocks costing about $6 per sq, crusher-run at $35 a yard, plus drainage pipe and fabric, this totals about $1800. I'll have 2 man crew, so does $4800 sound reasonable? This would be just over $20 a sqaure. thanks for the feedback

3. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Will you make money at $4800?

Two guys for a full week would run us roughly what you say you'll charge for the entire job.... But that's us, and what we need to make money.

Don't price by the foot. This has been discussed many times; do a search.

4. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do more of a search on srw dont backfill with crusher run, it wont drain to well. 3' high wall, means you have around 3' behind wall, i would backfill entire area with 57's. 30 ton will work in my area i pay 10.00 a ton delivered.
    Mike

5. clandscaper

thanks for the input, any comments on the ballpark price?

6. clandscaper

with 57s, is a 4'' pipe still necessary?

7. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

Yes you still need to use the pipe.

8. qualitycut

qualitycut LawnSite Member

The best method I have used is to figure out how many feet you can lay in an hour and then you need to charge by the man hour. don't forget to mark up materials, delivery fee, dumping fee if you need to, fuel. The most important thing is that you add in all the little costs that most new people often forget. hope I helped.

9. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

You should be at $7,800 for that job. $35 per face foot. with a two man crew, you should have that done in two days.

10. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would get 5k in my area, but this is all based on location. I agree excavate, build wall, cap, and clean up 2 day job.
    Mike