Retaining wall??

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JCherry9099, Apr 2, 2008.

1. JCherry9099

JCherry9099 LawnSite Member

I have taken on a project of building a retaining wall for a customer for his garden in his back yard. It will be on a incline, starts up hill then drops and goes back up again. Two terraces. the wall is to be apprx, 22-24in., I measured about 65ft for the first terrace and 40ft for the second. The customer prefers the 1.99 block at Lowes, castlewall....

Is there any recomendations of a decent bid range, and perhaps tricks/tips/hints to increase speed in putting up a retaining wall. This is my first time to do this, I've done some research on how to but I would like to hear from some people with experience.

PS - I'm located in GA if that helps with bid$ at all.
  2. Paver Gangster

Paver Gangster LawnSite Member

The customer prefers the 1.99 block at Lowes, castlewall....

The only piece of advice I have for this gem is to make sure the wall in the back is at a distance equal to twice the height of the wall in the front, because I am assuming this is a gravity wall, and if they want a Big Box product like Castlewall for a 60' long wall, they probably arent going to pay for geogrid.

Other than that, without site plans, soils etc etc not much else I can offer since its built on an incline which presents its own set of problems......I guess I can tell you to bury 6" of the height of the wall, for starters.

$9.95 a square foot, and a waiver
  3. csl

csl LawnSite Member

absolutely would not do this job. you wouldnt buy car parts and bring them to chevy to have them install them. dont install what you dont sell. its ok to be the middle man, but i have had homeowners who go and nit pick every little cost down to the gravel. you will get burned. and if for some dumb reason you decide to take the job, DO NOT let the homeowner help on the install. this will lead to him wanting a lower price when all is done.
  4. YVI

YVI LawnSite Member

I agree with csl, This could be a huge liability to your companie name. Espescially if you have never built this kind of wall before. I have been were you are at right know descent size job good money but sometimes you make more money if you stick to what you know.
  5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a lot of headaches you better leave this one to the big boys who do walls all the time.
  6. Majesticman

Majesticman LawnSite Member

If you like working with 1/4" variance and setting small blocks then use them. You had better use Diamond instead because it will be cheaper.

$10 a lineal foot for base and $12 per sq foot if you own equipment.

As far as doing the job you have to start somewhere. Good luck.