retaining wall

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by hewitt64, Apr 11, 2002.

1. hewitt64

hewitt64 LawnSite Member

I was wondering what you guys charge for a versa-lock retaining wall. Do you charge by the ft or jobs ?
  2. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

I charge by the sq. ft.... figure for Versa-Lok you need to get about 20-30$ a sqft. depending on many variables.
  3. DaveK

DaveK LawnSite Member

Not trying to nit-pick, but it's called fc. ft. (face foot) when reffering to vertical sufaces like retaining wall.

And there are a LOT of variables as PAPS mentioned.
  4. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

Variables for retaining walls:
    • Excavation required?
    • Length of bottom row?
    • Step ups in bottom row?
    • How many rows high?
    • How many blocks need to be cut?
    • Curved or straight coping?
    • Length of coping?
    • How many corners?
    • Filter cloth?
    • Weeping tile?
    • Geogrid?
    • Site access
    Squre foot pricing? Impractical if not impossible.
  5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Face ft pricing is not hard!
    You have to know your wall, your costs and all of what diginahole mentioned. Then divide by the face foot ofthe wall. We do it all the time!

Heck I bid one yesterday that they asked for the price of the wall by the running foot. Try working that one out! 6 walls as 2 seperate line items.
  6. diginahole

But you figured the price first and then calculated the unit price from your totals right? Priced by the job, then submitted in a form that client wishes to see, be it lump sum, Fc Ft, or Lin Ft.
  7. DaveK

DaveK LawnSite Member

Nothing is impossible. :)

Just use an incremental fc. ft. price.

Bottom line - xx per fc. ft.
    Each additional x feet in height, add xx per fc. ft. (Once geogrid height is reached, this would be greater increase)
    Curved wall - additional xx per linear ft. (covers cutting of coping)
    Corners - additional xx per corner per course.

The fabric, drain tile, and drainage stone should be included in the base fc.ft. price. Since it "should" be used for all walls. It is just much more important in some instances.

With some extra time spent on calculating your method of pricing now, you will save hours of estimating and bidding down the road.
  8. diginahole

Ya that's kinda my point DaveK. If a customer calls and says what do you charge for a retaining wall 3 ft high by 20 feet long, what would be your response? Hardly a unit price x quantity. At least that's the way I understand a by the Sq ft pricing structure. You need to reverse calculate to a unit price if that is what the client requires.
  9. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Here's a question, How would you bid a wall off a set of plans?
    All you get is a bottom elevation, and top elevation.
    You can walk the site but, no dirt work is done yet, the house isn't built yet, nothing there but bare dirt!

Now they need a wall build, has to be included in the price of the house, Bid date, is 3 days, and the number has to be firm, no ups no extras. Walls is 20' long, base elevation 790', TOW is 793'

Bid it!
  10. DaveK

DaveK LawnSite Member

First, I'd ask 'em how tall is the wall, then will it be curved or straight, then what brand of wall they are interested in.

I attempted to put a table/chart here...
    But it didn't quite want to show up correctly.:(

If they are just looking for a ballpark figure, I'd say about $30 to $40 per fc. ft. depending on your choice of wall.

Well, it's a 3 foot high wall 20 feet long = 60 fc. ft. (above ground)

Add 10 fc. ft. for bottom course (under ground level)

So 70 fc. ft. x your price per fc. ft.
    Add for cutting of coping. (Unless plans shows straight, assume curved wall, which means cutting of coping.)