Retaining walls by trees

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by yardboyltd, Nov 22, 2001.

1. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

how far away should a retaining wall be from trees? In my case 20' maple, 5' tall wall
  2. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

In a perfect world, a couple of feet past the drip line. In the real world I find its ok to encroach a few feet into the dripline on 1 side of the tree.
  3. Andrew Hardscape

Andrew Hardscape LawnSite Member

You may also want to take into consideration the type of Maple.

Is this a "load bearing retaining wall" or a "planter"? In other words will it be holding back gravity for a specific purpose, or will it be installed for decoration?

As I'm sure you know Maples can have some destructive roots. The drip line theory as digahole mentioned is good, just make sure you compansate for further/future growth of the tree.

I know this is not what you asked, but as a professional I feel it is our responsibility to forewarn the client of any complications that could arise years down the road (such as root damage). MD's Finest
  4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

First question I have is how close is close? If real close then I would recommond you remove one item tree or wall. A 5' high wall should be engineered. Have you had this done yet? If farther away then a root barrier could be installed along with the wall.