Retaining walls

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Lawnbiz, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Lawnbiz

Lawnbiz LawnSite Member
    from NH

I am going to build my first wall. Here are the walls I am considering.

Keystone - Standard Striaghtface
    8"x18"

Versa Lok - Standard
    6"x 16"

Allan Block
    8" x 12"

What are your thoughts on these products and what is everyone paying for there blocks.

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

A better question might be what are your plans for the wall: Decorative or functional, short or tall, straight or curved and what is available to you.
    Pricing is fairly constant $8-12 a block. Good luck to ya, and I hope your back is in good shape:laugh:

3. Lawnbiz

Lawnbiz LawnSite Member
    from NH

I have a slope in the front of the home I would like to level off with a 3-5 foot wall. It would be a straight shot with no curves. It doesnt have to be anything fancy. I am just looking for some opinions on what others are doing and paying.

4. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I just got home from a Versa Lok seminar..I would go with them...easy to understand..simple to work with and you can get short, tall, curved, decorative & functional, or whatever you can dream up !...they have a excellent web site that offers technical and training info...good luck

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

So did I :drinkup:

Do a Versa-Lok Standard wall 4' high, bury 1 block and use 2 layers of geogrid going 4' back. Top off with a 18" standard freestanding so if you put a patio in between the wall and the house no one will fall over the edge.:cool2:

6. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I use nothing but versa-lok . The easiest one to work with for versitility. Their weathered block looks really good.

7. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

I think I used that allen block before thats the one u have to fill with stone right?? I wasn't to impressed with that system!!!

8. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use allen block, the size is 17 3-4 long 7 3-4 wide . I have over 100 in my area there is nothing i have seen any better. Retaining walls are made to drain and the hollow core helps with it. Versa - lock the one i look at i did not care for build a wall with a heavy block then put a plastic clip in it :nono: . We have an allen block wall in our area 40' in height with a swimming pool in the back yard that is a big surcharge and it can hold it. I will opionate very hard on this product because i have been building them for years and have built 137 to be exact.
    mike

9. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Versa Lok has a wall as high as 66 feet! I believe that one has a Lowes receiving area above it, not the same surcharge as a swimming pool, but alot of forces there!

10. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I still think the hollow core is the ticket. Do a over kill on gravel might cost a few bucks extra but when it rains you can sleep well. You also should consider on buiding any wall the option of at a later date of making it higher. Engineer it for reason: Bury a full block then it can go 7-8' high. Grid it 70% gravel 2-3' behind. Then 1 day your customer calls you back to extend the 4' wall to 6' you will not be embarrrased. We have done this a few times.
    Check our website it is new, my son did it for me and we will add some better pics soon.
    mike

www.bobcatservice33.com