1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Retaining walls

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Lawnbiz, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Lawnbiz

Lawnbiz LawnSite Member
    from NH

I am going to build my first wall. Here are the walls I am considering.

Keystone - Standard Striaghtface
    8"x18"

Versa Lok - Standard
    6"x 16"

Allan Block
    8" x 12"

What are your thoughts on these products and what is everyone paying for there blocks.

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

A better question might be what are your plans for the wall: Decorative or functional, short or tall, straight or curved and what is available to you.
    Pricing is fairly constant $8-12 a block. Good luck to ya, and I hope your back is in good shape:laugh:

3. Lawnbiz

Lawnbiz LawnSite Member
    from NH

I have a slope in the front of the home I would like to level off with a 3-5 foot wall. It would be a straight shot with no curves. It doesnt have to be anything fancy. I am just looking for some opinions on what others are doing and paying.

4. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I just got home from a Versa Lok seminar..I would go with them...easy to understand..simple to work with and you can get short, tall, curved, decorative & functional, or whatever you can dream up !...they have a excellent web site that offers technical and training info...good luck

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

So did I :drinkup:

Do a Versa-Lok Standard wall 4' high, bury 1 block and use 2 layers of geogrid going 4' back. Top off with a 18" standard freestanding so if you put a patio in between the wall and the house no one will fall over the edge.:cool2:

6. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I use nothing but versa-lok . The easiest one to work with for versitility. Their weathered block looks really good.

7. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

I think I used that allen block before thats the one u have to fill with stone right?? I wasn't to impressed with that system!!!

8. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use allen block, the size is 17 3-4 long 7 3-4 wide . I have over 100 in my area there is nothing i have seen any better. Retaining walls are made to drain and the hollow core helps with it. Versa - lock the one i look at i did not care for build a wall with a heavy block then put a plastic clip in it :nono: . We have an allen block wall in our area 40' in height with a swimming pool in the back yard that is a big surcharge and it can hold it. I will opionate very hard on this product because i have been building them for years and have built 137 to be exact.
    mike

9. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Versa Lok has a wall as high as 66 feet! I believe that one has a Lowes receiving area above it, not the same surcharge as a swimming pool, but alot of forces there!

10. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I still think the hollow core is the ticket. Do a over kill on gravel might cost a few bucks extra but when it rains you can sleep well. You also should consider on buiding any wall the option of at a later date of making it higher. Engineer it for reason: Bury a full block then it can go 7-8' high. Grid it 70% gravel 2-3' behind. Then 1 day your customer calls you back to extend the 4' wall to 6' you will not be embarrrased. We have done this a few times.
    Check our website it is new, my son did it for me and we will add some better pics soon.
    mike

www.bobcatservice33.com