Retaining walls

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dewos, Feb 19, 2007.

1. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

HOw much to charge for the retaining wall? Does everyone put a dirt mix of sand in between the wall and land and lean in back some?

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

most retaining walls are staggard backwards to keep them from falling over and then you back fill behind them for support. Depending how big of a wall your doing you will first need to dig a trench 10"-12" deep and poor a concrete base to place the wall on if its going to be a small wall that isn't going to be supporting or load bearing wall you can use paving base sand for the wall foundation. When building the wall make sure you stagger the bricks so that they are offset over the seem for stabillity. You will need to figure up your costs for materials, labor before you can determine cost.

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

not something you should just go and try with no knowledge of the construction.... and how to produce proper drainage, if you really dont know what you are doing, sub it out to a professional or it will fall down in a year...

4. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

5. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

The wall isn't very tall but I have done mine at my house but never did one for money. I didn't use concrete i just dug a 10" hole made sure it was level and places my first row down the staggered. should i have a concrete base. mine I have done about 4 years ago its still standing.

6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Depending upon the type of sub-strait, the going rate for wall construction in my neck of the woods is about $5.00/linear foot.
    Above five feet high the cost goes up.
    Footers for the wall do not need to be concrete, but if you haven't built a wall before there are a ton of things to watch out for.
    Surf the Pavestone site for more info.

7. Team Green L&L

Team Green L&L LawnSite Member

I DO NOT recomend doing a retaining wall without the proper training and knowledge. There is a LOT more involved then people think, base prep, geogrid type, global stability factor, batter of wall etc. Also anything over 4' high requires a set of engineers plans (commercial or residential) and that is in all 50 states, some states require anything over 3'. If possible take a class if they are available in your area. You can go to Pavestone or Anchor Walls website and they should have a list of dates and locations for training. You can also take a test to become NCMA certified which we have done. The registration only costs $175.00 which is well worth what you will learn, and save you a lot of headache in the end.

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

If you read a lot of the threads in the hardscaping forum, you will see there are some really good professionals that have a lot of experience with walls. This is not something that you just jump into and slap together. Do some reading in that forum, and you'll see there is a lot that goes into building a retaining wall correctly.