Retention basin bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dependable Lawncare, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Dependable Lawncare

Dependable Lawncare LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I'm pretty new here and put in my first bid on a retention basin.

It is easy access with no fencing and the only real trimming is along the sidewalk which runs half the distance around the basin. It looks like it stays pretty dry most of the time so boggy soil won't be a problem for the most part. Total area is a little less than an acre. I bid it at $70. Does that sound reasonable? I appreciate your input.

2. Dependable Lawncare

People are strange
    when you're a stranger
    Faces look ugly
    when you're alone

3. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

:confused:

4. cblackwe

cblackwe LawnSite Member

I am beginning my second season and what a learning experience my first one was!! This year I have a common ground contract with a subdivision association in O'Fallon, it has 3 large basins approx .75 - 1 acre each. I bid it just like a commercial job $35.00 per hour. This takes into account that in the spring its gonna have to be cut w/ a trimmer in the middle and once summer heats up it will be ok for my Exmark Turf Ranger 60". I came up with an "average" time that it will take me to do part rider and part trimmer and then all rider. Comes out fair in the end of the season for both customer and me. Got the job because previous guy wouldn't even cut the middle when it was wet. Subdivision association got fined by the city for unkept property!!! Doooowwwppp!!!!

Hope this helps.

5. Dependable Lawncare

Well thank you for answering. I did basically the same thing you did. I figured the job at 2 hours and bid the $70. Still haven't heard from them as of yet so I don't know if I'll get it but i feel pretty good about the price on my end.

6. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

Was this poetry by Jim meant to be at the bottom of your posts ?

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That sounds like a good estimate if you figured it would take 2 hrs. Prices per hour differ greatly around the country. Best of luck t6 you and welcome to the site.

Gravely_Man

8. Dependable Lawncare

No, that was a vague reference to the fact that nobody acknowledged my post for a while. It's nice to see that some people here are willing to help out a newbie, and even nicer that some people here are old enough to remember the Doors! Thanks.

9. cblackwe

cblackwe LawnSite Member

Dependable,

What part of MO are you in?

10. Dependable Lawncare

I'm in Springfield. Very fast growing community here with the housing market booming. I figured it's now or never to jump into the lawncare industry full time.