retention

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bingham Brothers, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Bingham Brothers

Bingham Brothers LawnSite Member

I was wanting some advice from those with experience. This is my first year in business and I was wondering what kind of retention rate I can expect from year to year. I bought an exsisting service with 60 accounts in March and currently have 115 accounts.

I am also looking for help on how to end the season. We have started to cool off, but some lawns are still growing well while others have slowed. I have had 3 customers say they are done for the season and will see me next year. About ten have requested to mow every other week till the end. Should I keep mowing all accounts that don't contact me every week until the leaves fall or it snows? Should I make the decision on when to stop mowing or let the property owner? It's kinda hard to not keep mowing, but I want to be fair to my customers and also fair to myself.

Any advice for a "newbie" would be appreciated. I love this business!!

2. nfarr

nfarr LawnSite Member

This is my second season. I only lost one customer from last year. They wanted to pay about 2/3 of last years rate. I let them go.

3. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

if anyone tells me that they don't need their grass cut anymore before mid october, i cross them off the list for next year. i don't want cheap skates and thats an easy way to weed them out. also, i cut as long as the grass is growing, i make the decision to switch to bi weekly, not the customer. btw, i cut up to december last year(kentucky). hope this helps.

4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea, cut till it doesnt need it any longer. You will be able to tell. Most people expect you to know when to stop.