rethinking commercial bid?!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kbacon3231, Jan 18, 2006.

1. kbacon3231

kbacon3231 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

After reading the post "The Real Reason To Bid Commercials Correctly" I have really begun to 2nd guess myself. This will be my 2nd year and also my first commercial bid. The property i will be bidding on is 2.69 acres around the building and parking lots that will be mowed weekly. It also has 4.59 acres of grass that is wide open that will be mowed once a month. There is minimal trimming and that bid will not include fertilizing nor landscaping. I have a 44"Z and planned on buying a larger mower this year espcially if i am awarded this contract. I have come up with a price but i would appreciate some loose estimates from some of you more experienced guys to see if im even in the right ballpark or need to just let this one go. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. justinslawncare

justinslawncare LawnSite Member

i bid on a contract in 05 and come close to losing my butt in it cuz i under bid the job. dont under bid just to get the job its not worth it. as for the amount..... think about how long it usually takes to mow something the same size and add 30 mins just to be safe. a bigger zero turn mower would be beneficial just dont go to big. i charge $35-40 an hour for commercial work now. also think about gas and travel cost.

3. mjean

mjean LawnSite Member

I charge $40-55 per hour for commercial. Most commercial work requires larger amounts of insuranse than most guys carry so make sure you ask about that when you bid it may have some bearing on your price.