Rethinking the use of meals.

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by NattyLawn, Aug 29, 2010.

1. marquis de sod

marquis de sod LawnSite Member

I buy DDG at a famer's feed store in pellet form and it is very easy to handle and spread. Does it have the same fungus suppressing qualities as pure corn meal?

2. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

Great info Marcos.

Thanks Barefoot!

3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Do you buy it in bulk or in sacks?
    To date, we have yet to experiment with DDG as a substitute for corn meal for disease control.
    Maybe the initial quality problems we've experienced could be that we've simply run into inferior or somewhat aged lots. Random clumps & persistent caking on impellers have both been aggravating problems.

4. shooterm

shooterm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I'm waiting for a $1 bills to be used as mulch debate.

5. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

we work with a company in WI that swears by DDG, they say what they get at $250 per ton is very dry no clumping and works well in a spreader, they also like the mix of micronutrients that are in it and get some weed and disease suppression

they pick it up directly from the ethanol manufacturer

you can't work around if you are the wagon though, it smells like booze

6. marquis de sod

Marcos,
    I buy it in bulk, it is in smooth solid pellets extruded at about 1/4 inch diameter. It is a common format for animal feeds. It flows easily, scoops like shelled corn (only the grain, not the cob for you city boys :laugh:) and only clumps if you get it wet. It will store for quite a while and they also will bag it for an extra $2 per 50 lbs. bag. I have spread it with a John Deere tow behind spreader and will do it with my Eco-Lawn applicator this spring.
    Since it is mostly pellets the coverage is not as complete as a powder, the same 1/2 teaspoon of material is sitting in the middle of 10 square inches of soil instead of powdering the whole area. I don't know if that is a problem after there has been some water and mowing activity on the lawn. It seems to have worked well for me.

7. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

8. marquis de sod

9. Marcos

That's good to hear about a chance of weed suppression.
    But if this is true, just like with CGM, one would probably want to steer clear of using DDG immediately before & after renovation.

Yeah, we already had 1 customer call about the alcohol smell.
    She has a large screened in patio and I guess there was enough of a residual odor to make her think something shady could've been going on in her back yard! :laugh:

10. Marcos

The only problem we sometimes run into with larger, less dense pellets like alfalfa & DDG is movement downhill away from target areas due to heavy storm erosion.
    An application of either in conjunction with core aeration helps to alleviate this problem on heavily sloped lawns.

Oh, almost forgot, marquis!
    "CITY BOY"?!?....I got your "city boy", right here! :cool2:
    :laugh::waving: