1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rethinking transportation for service calls

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Lite4, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Well, I began looking at my receipts for gas last month. Very disapointing. Most of it was spent on running to meet clients, replace a bulb or two or to drop of literature to networking companies or perspective clients. So, I went out and bought a motorcycle today. It is an older suzuki 750, but I figuire at 60 miles per gallon I can do all of my running around for little things on this and leave the truck for demos and installs. I am going to buy on of the little pull behind cargo trailers for it. I can place bulbs, my work bag and tools, small folding shovel, and marketing literature in there. I am going to have it all painted up and logoed. You can't tell me that won't be unique driving on the road. Hopefully, the money I save in gas will pay for it in 1 season.
  2. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't believe I've ever seen a motorcycle pulling a trailer... but a sidecar might be cool... especially with a vintage style bike.

3. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Tim, I'd rather see you pay the extra money for gas than expose yourself to the danger of the bike. I have been an avid biker since I was 6 years old, but when I got old and had my first child (at 36) I gained a tremendous fear of bikes. I call it common sense, while others call it sissyness. Do me a favor and ditch this idea altogether, at least until you have finished my landscape design. :laugh:
  4. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Here ya go Gregg.........Tim this could be you! :laugh:
    Or the other one kinda looks like a firefly already...........can you light the back to make it glow intermittently?

Attached Files:

5. Lite4

This is kind of what I had in mind.

6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

You might consider saddlebags, it sounds like they would hold most of what you'd need. be careful on that bike !
  7. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

I cannot imagine doing service calls from a Motorcycle... wow you must travel light. Where will you put your associated ladders? My Service truck carries at least a 8' step and a 32' extension ladder.

Beyond that, there is some inherent risk to your idea. Gas might be expensive but how expensive is a personal injury accident with time off work? I am not being glib here at all, I rode a Yamaha FJ1200 for a dozen years and had a 600 before that.

As for the gas prices... why are your service call rates not reflecting your cost of operations? As your costs go up so do your service call rates. Don't worry, you wont receive much if any hesitation from the customers... everyone is doing it.

Have a great day.
  8. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Ha! Those things look like portable coffins! But thats a great idea. When you crash and burn they can just shovel you up and put you back in your own box and drive you to the cemetary.
  9. Lite4

Not all service calls here require ladders. I don't live in the forest as you do. Mostly it is for customer contacts and general driving around. I know they can be dangerous. I used to drive them all the time, but I got rid of it when I had my first kid. I am seeing a ton more of cycles and scooters on the road this summer. Far more than I usually see and I am sure it is because of gas prices. With more of them on the road, SOME people are more aware of you. Good defensive driving skills are still needed though. I don't know, maybe it isn't a great idea. I get tired of 17 mpg for piddley driving around when I could get 50 though.
  10. NightLightingFX

NightLightingFX LawnSite Senior Member

I think you might get some attention with your trailer and etc, but I have to agree with Chris and James about the safety. Not to mention the hassles of riding a motorcycle in bad weather. Get one of those smart cars and do a marketing wrap around it. There is this insurance guy in my town that has a Smart Car all pimped out for farmers insurance. I have seen the car displayed at business expos and etc. and driving around town. It caught my attention.